These Gluten-Free Vegan Spicy Roasted Chickpeas with Chipotle and Lime are an easy and healthy recipe made with only 6 clean real food ingredients. They're the perfect crispy and crunchy plant-based snack or salad topper!
Gluten-Free Vegan Spicy Roasted Chickpeas with Chipotle and Lime
Here's why this recipe works - my top 3 reasons:
- Crispy and crunchy texture
- A healthy plant-based snack or salad topper
- Made with clean, real food ingredients
Crispy and Crunchy Texture
There's a secret to getting the roasted chickpeas both crispy and crunchy and it only needs a few extra steps.
- Peel The Skins Off The Chickpeas - this step takes a little extra time but it's worth it to remove any moisture that might be behind the skins (also, this is a fun job for the little ones if they want to help!)
- Dry Roast The Chickpeas - after the chickpeas are completely dry, roast them for about 10 minutes to pre-bake them which helps the seasoning cling onto the chickpeas better
- Go Light On The Added Oil - you'll need a little oil to help the seasoning stay on but too much will interfere with the crispy factor
Make sure you read my step-by-step instructions below for detailed instructions!
A Healthy Plant-Based Snack or Salad Topper
This is a versatile plant-based recipe that's perfect as a snack or even a salad topper.
They're a healthy replacement for store-bought chips or other savory snacks that are processed with S.A.D. (Standard American Diet) ingredients.
And, if you like the chipotle + lime flavor combination, try my Roasted Cauliflower with Chipotle and Lime recipe for another healthy plant-based snack idea.
Make sure you use my recipe adjuster to adjust the serving size because these will disappear fast!
Made With Only 6 Clean, Real Food Ingredients
These Roasted Chickpeas with Chipotle and Lime are a tasty little snack that are really easy to make and are ready to enjoy in under 30 minutes.
You'll love how they're made with only 6 clean, real food ingredients that you probably already have on hand.
For example, ingredients such as chickpeas (aka garbanzo beans), avocado oil, lime juice, ground chipotle powder, ground garlic powder, and Himalayan pink salt.
This healthy plant-based snack is vegan, gluten-free, dairy-free, soy-free, nut-free and Medical Medium compliant!
How To Make Spicy Roasted Chickpeas with Chipotle and Lime: Step-by-Step Instructions
Here is how to make this recipe and I'll show you with step-by-step instructions below.
Before beginning, preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
Prepare a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper and set aside.
Step 1: Prepare the Seasoning
Firstly, add all ingredients for the seasoning to a small bowl, stir until well combined and set aside.
Step 2: Prepare the Chickpeas
Secondly, drain and rinse the chickpeas with filtered/purified water.
Transfer the chickpeas to a clean cloth or paper towel.
There are two options to remove the outer skins from the chickpeas:
- By Hand - The skins will easily come off by rolling each one between your fingers. This method will take the longest but it's a fun project if you have little ones that want to help.
- Rolling Them Between a Cloth or Napkin - Place another clean cloth or napkin on top of the chickpeas and gently roll it back and forth. This will loosen the skins from the chickpeas all at one time.
Whichever method you choose, discard the outer skins once you're finished.
Next, dry the skinned chickpeas as much as possible - the drier they are the crispier they will be.
Transfer the dried chickpeas to the prepared cookie sheet and bake at 400 degrees Fahrenheit for 15 minutes.
Step 3: Assembly:
Thirdly, remove the cookie sheet from the oven and transfer the baked chickpeas to a medium-size mixing bowl.
Toss the chickpeas with the avocado oil and lime juice.
Sprinkle the seasoning mixture over the chickpeas and gently toss until the seasoning is evenly distributed and all the chickpeas are covered.
Next, transfer the chickpeas back to the cookie sheet and spread them evenly.
Bake at 400 degrees Fahrenheit for approximately 15-20 minutes, flipping them halfway through and taking care to not let them burn.
Expert Tips + Ingredient Substitutions For Spicy Roasted Chickpeas with Chipotle and Lime
Want More Healthy Plant-Based Snack Recipes?
Check out these:
- Lemon Dill Kale Chips
- Superfood Fruit Nut and Seed Snack Mix
- Vegan Oven Baked Zucchini Chips
- or my CLEAN EATING Cookbook with an entire chapter of 20 healthy, clean eating snack and side dish recipes just like this one that you will love!
Gluten-Free Vegan Spicy Roasted Chickpeas with Chipotle and Lime
For the chickpeas:
- 1 can organic chickpeas (15-ounce can, drained + rinsed)
- 2 teaspoons 100% pure avocado oil
- 1 tablespoon organic lime juice (freshly squeezed)
For the seasoning:
- 2 teaspoons organic ground chipotle powder
- 1 teaspoon organic garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Himalayan pink salt
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Prepare a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper and set aside.
Prepare the seasoning:
- Add all ingredients for the seasoning to a small bowl and stir until well combined. Set aside.
Prepare the chickpeas:
- Drain and rinse the chickpeas with filtered/purified water.
- Place the chickpeas on a clean cloth or paper towel and pat them dry.
- Peel the outer skin off each chickpea by hand, or cover the chickpeas with another clean cloth or paper towel and gently roll it back and forth to release the skins then discard them.
- Place the skinned chickpeas evenly onto the prepared cookie sheet and bake at 400 degrees for approximately 15 minutes, then remove the pan from the oven.
- Transfer the baked chickpeas to a medium-size mixing bowl and gently toss with the avocado oil and lime juice until they are all covered.
- Sprinkle the seasoning mixture over the chickpeas and gently toss until the seasoning is evenly distributed and all the chickpeas are covered.
- Transfer them back to the cookie sheet and spread them out evenly.
- Bake at 400 for approximately 15-20 minutes, tossing them about halfway through, taking care not to let them burn.
- Optional: Squeeze extra lime juice over them before serving.
Hi, I'm Karielyn! I'm the published cookbook author of CLEAN DESSERTS and content creator of The Healthy Family and Home website since 2012. I specialize in creating easy, healthy plant-based recipes that are gluten-free + vegan and made with clean, real food ingredients that you can feel good about eating.