This Spicy Red Pepper and Spinach Sweet Potato Hash recipe is an easy and healthy dish you'll want to make over and over again. It's a versatile plant-based recipe that's perfect for a side-dish or savory breakfast and is a one-skillet recipe that's ready to serve in about 30 minutes!
Here's Why This Recipe Works
My top 3 favorite reasons:
- It's A One-Skillet Meal
- It's A Savory Breakfast Recipe
- Made With Clean, Real Food Ingredients
You'll love this healthy plant-based recipe because it's vegan, gluten-free, dairy-free, nut-free, paleo-friendly, and Medical Medium® compliant.
Karielyn's Expert Tips + Ingredient Substitutions
Here are some of my expert tips to make this recipe perfectly:
Sweet Potatoes: These will need to be peeled and cubed before adding them to your skillet. In addition, you could also use white potatoes as a substitute.
Onion: Any variety of onions will work, however, I do not recommend using a sweet onion since this is a savory recipe.
Avocado Oil: This can be substituted with organic extra-virgin olive oil. You could also substitute the oil with (2) tablespoons organic veggie broth to keep the recipe oil-free. Just make sure the veggie broth doesn't contain citric acid.
Garlic: Freshly crushed garlic will give the best flavor and nutritional benefits, but it can be substituted with organic ground garlic.
Red Pepper Flakes + Ground Black Pepper + Ground Cayenne Pepper: Feel free to adjust the amounts to your preferences or even omit if you don't like spicy foods or will be serving this dish to children.
Himalayan Pink Salt: This is my salt of preference, however, it can always be substituted with sea salt.
Red Bell Pepper: This can be substituted with orange or yellow pepper, or even omitted if you prefer.
Spinach: This will give the recipe extra nutritional benefits but it could be substituted with kale or arugula or even omitted if you prefer.
Chia Seeds: Again, this ingredient gives the recipe extra nutritional benefits and a slightly "crunchy" texture, but they can be omitted if you don't like them or don't have any on hand.
Serving Size: This recipe will make approximately (4) cups of hash. Nutritional information is for (1) cup which is (1) serving.
Want More Healthy Plant-Based Potato Recipes?
Check out these:
- Spicy Turmeric Twice Baked Potatoes
- Roasted Potatoes with Habanero and Basil Pesto
- Vegan Cheesy Scalloped Potatoes
- or my After The Cleanses™ Medical Medium® Compliant Meal Plan Program with 42 plant-based vegan + gluten-free recipes made with clean, real food ingredients just like this one that you will love!
Did You Make This Recipe?
I'd love to hear about it! Please give it a rating and leave a comment below...it would make my day! : )
Spicy Red Pepper and Spinach Sweet Potato Hash
For the hash:
- 3 cups organic sweet potatoes (peeled and cubed)
- 1 cup organic onion (diced)
- 2 teaspoons 100% pure avocado oil
- 2 cloves organic garlic (freshly crushed)
- 1 tablespoon organic red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon Himalayan pink salt
- 1/2 teaspoon organic ground black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon organic ground cayenne pepper
For the add-ins:
- 1/2 cup organic red bell pepper (diced)
- 1 cup organic baby spinach (chopped)
- 2 tablespoons organic chia seeds
Prep the veggies:
- Peel and cube the sweet potatoes, dice the onion and red bell pepper, chop the spinach into thin strips.
Prepare the hash:
- Add all ingredients for the hash to a non-toxic skillet and lightly saute' on medium heat for approximately 20 minutes, or until the sweet potatoes are soft and slightly crispy on the outside.
- Taste and adjust the seasonings to your preference.
Add the add-ins:
- Add the add-ins (diced red bell peppers, chopped spinach, and chia seeds) and gently toss for about 1-2 minutes, or just long enough for the spinach to wilt.
- Remove from heat, garnish with fresh chopped spinach and serve.
Hi, I'm Karielyn! I'm the published cookbook author of CLEAN DESSERTS and content creator of The Healthy Family and Home™ website since 2012. I specialize in creating easy, healthy plant-based and Medical Medium® compliant recipes that are gluten-free + vegan and made with clean, real food ingredients that you can feel good about eating.