This Gluten-Free Vegan Oven-Baked Sweet Potato “Toast” with Spicy Guacamole is my recipe for the August 2017 Recipe Redux theme and is so good!
The theme for this month is: “Rise and Shine with a Savory Breakfast – The trend of protein-packed breakfasts is catching on…and back-to-school time is looming. This month, show us new healthy takes on eating savory or dinner-inspired dishes for breakfast. Think egg burritos, beans and rice, or maybe even pasta!”
So for my submission, I’m sharing a filling and nutrient-dense savory breakfast made with energy-boosting sweet potatoes and healthy fat from avocados and fresh veggies that will keep you satisfied all morning long.
It doesn’t take long at all to throw it all together, but if you make the sweet potato “toast” in the oven, like I like to do, you can be taking care of other morning business while it’s baking in the oven.
If you’re in a hurry, you can also make the sweet potato “toast” in an actual toaster, like a piece of bread. You’ll just need to slice it the same size and “toast” it on high in a regular toaster, running it through 3-4 times (flipping over each time) until the inside is soft.
Either way you choose to make the sweet potato, the guacamole can be made in under 5 minutes (or even pre-made in advance) and you can adjust the amount of spicy to your preference. For example, if you were serving to your children, you may want to omit the jalapeno.
This healthy, plant-based breakfast is made with real food ingredients and is vegan, gluten-free, dairy-free, nut-free, lectin-free and alkaline.
Want more healthy recipes? Check out Vegan Cheesy Scalloped Potatoes, Spicy Red Pepper and Spinach Sweet Potato Hash Browns, Garlic and Shallot Fingerling Potatoes or my Clean Eating Cookbook with over 140 healthy, clean eating recipes just like this one that you will love!
5 Fast Facts About Sweet Potatoes:*
- contains anti-inflammatory properties
- contains 2 g of vegan protein
- contains 4 g of fiber
- high in vitamin A, vitamin C, vitamin B5 and vitamin B6
- excellent source of potassium, copper and manganese
5 Fast Facts About Avocados:*
- excellent source of vitamin E
- contains 25 essential nutrients
- contains 2 – 3 times the potassium as one banana
- has anti-inflammatory properties
- can help lower cholesterol levels
5 Fast Facts About Avocado Oil:*
- healthier cooking with smoke point of 500 degrees
- may help reduce the risk of metabolic syndrome
- helps maintain healthy blood sugar levels
- provides protection from cardiovascular disease
- good source of vitamin E
5 Fast Facts About Limes:*
- aids in digestion
- fat burner
- contains more vitamin C than a lemon
- anti-oxidant and anti-biotic effects
- extremely alkalizing to the body
5 Fast Facts About Cilantro:*
- contains powerful anti-oxidants
- helps to remove toxins and heavy metals
- promotes healthy liver function
- helps to control blood sugar
5 Fast Facts About Onions:*
- rich source of sulfur compounds
- excellent for cardiovascular health
- inhibits bone loss in women
- reduced blood pressure
- lowers blood cholesterol levels
5 Fast Facts About Jalapenos:*
- excellent antioxidant
- thermogenic food
- anti-inflammatory agent
- high in vitamins A and C
- contains anti-bacterial properties
5 Fast Facts About Garlic:*
- regulates blood sugar levels
- lowers high blood pressure
- contains anti-bacterial and analgesic properties
- helps to lower cholesterol levels
5 Fast Facts About Himalayan Pink Salt:*
- contains 84 minerals
- unrefined, unprocessed, raw
- promotes stable pH balance in cells
- controls water levels in the body
- aids digestion and facilitates better nutrient absorption
*These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This information is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.
Gluten-Free Vegan Oven-Baked Sweet Potato "Toast" with Spicy Guacamole
Yield 4 - 6 slices
Vegan / Gltuen-Free / Dairy-Free / Nut-Free / Lectin-Free / Alkaline
For the sweet potato "toast":
- 1 large organic sweet potato
- 1 - 2 teaspoons 100% pure avocado oil
For the guacamole:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Prepare the sweet potato "toast":
- Cut both end off the sweet potato. Slice the sweet potatoes from top to bottom in 1/4 inch thick pieces. You should have 4-6 slices using a large sweet potato.
- Place the sweet potato slices on a baking pan lined with parchment paper.
- Lightly brush both sides with avocado oil.
- Bake at 350 degrees for approximately 30 minutes. Flip the slices over and continue baking for an additional 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven and prepare for assembly.
Prepare the guacamole:
- While the sweet potato slices are baking, prepare the guacamole by adding all ingredients for the guacamole to a small bowl and mash it together with a fork until it gets to the consistency you prefer. Adjust seasonings to your preference.
- Transfer the sweet potato slices to your serving dish and top with 1-2 heaping tablespoons of guacamole.
- Optional: Garnish with additional chopped cilantro and/or red onions.
Get all your organic ingredients delivered straight to your door at up to 25 - 50% off retail by cutting out the middleman and retail markups with a Thrive Market Membership and save 15% off on your first order.
The recipe and photographs for "Gluten-Free Vegan Oven Baked Sweet Potato "Toast" with Spicy Guacamole" by Karielyn Tillman of The Healthy Family and Home website are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution Non-Commercial No Derivatives 4.0 International License and cannot be used without my written permission.
Affiliate Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links. This means that if you were to make a purchase through one of these links, “The Healthy Family and Home” website would receive a small commission at no additional cost to you.
Thank you for your support of this website!