This Vegetable Rigatoni with Creamy Cauliflower Sauce started out as an experiment for a vegan macaroni and “cheese” dish for my boys, but ended up so much better than I had expected.
It’s not a plain cauliflower sauce but a creamy cauliflower sauce with a “cheesy” flavor.
I used this recipe for a basic cauliflower sauce as inspiration to start with, then added extra nutritional yeast to give it the “cheesy” flavor, a little tumeric and some cashews and zucchini.
And it can be made in a matter of minutes with a Vitamix.
At the last minute, I decided to add the peas and carrots for color and extra veggies and guess what?
They loved it! And asked for seconds.
So I would say this is a good vegan recipe to get some extra veggies (cauliflower, peas, carrots and zucchini) on your kids plate!
Want more healthy meal and entree recipes? Check out Vegan Stuffed Pepper Soup, Clean Eating Zucchini Boats with Creamy Garlic Sauce, Spicy Turmeric Twice Baked Potatoes or my Clean Eating eCookbook with an entire chapter of 20 healthy, clean eating meal and entree recipes just like this one that you will love!
5 Fast Facts About Cauliflower:*
- 1 cup contains 9.1% DV of potassium
- 1 cup contains 85.9% of vitamin C
- 1 cup contains 8.5% DV of fiber
- excellent anti-oxidant
- contains anti-inflammatory benefits
5 Fast Facts About Almonds (Almond Milk):*
- helps to regulate cholesterol and blood pressure
- energy booster
- loaded with calcium and fiber
- 1/4 cup contains 8 grams of vegan protein
- high in anti-oxidants
5 Fast Facts About Nutritional Yeast:*
- vegan source of vitamin B12
- contains 18 amino acids and is a complete protein
- boosts immune system
- excellent anti-oxidant
- contains 15 minerals
5 Fast Facts About Zucchini:*
- low calorie food – 94% water
- high in manganese
- helps lower blood pressure
- helps lower cholesterol
5 Fast Facts About Cashews:*
- packed with dietary fiber
- rich in “heart friendly” mono-saturated fatty acids
- rich source of minerals
- high in magnesium and copper
- excellent source of antioxidants
5 Fast Facts About Garlic:*
- regulates blood sugar levels
- lowers high blood pressure
- contains anti-bacterial and analgesic properties
- helps to lower cholesterol levels
5 Fast Facts About Carrots:*
- improves eyesight
- helps to prevent heart disease
- rich in antioxidants
- helps flush toxins from the body
- 1 cup contains 407.6% RDA of vitamin A
5 Fast Facts About Peas:*
- contains high levels of anti-oxidants
- 1 cup provides 7 g of fiber
- contains 20% RDA of riboflavin
- 1 cup provides 8.5 g of protein
- provides anti-inflammatory benefits
*These statements have not been evaluated by Food and Drug Administration. This information is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.
Tip #1: I’ve used a 1 lb bag of frozen organic cauliflower and a frozen organic peas and carrot mixture to save time.
Tip #2: I’ve used organic broccoli (also frozen) instead of the peas and carrot mixture for variety.
Tip #3: I used rigatoni but you can use a gluten-free rigatoni or your favorite pasta instead.
Affiliate Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links. This means that if you were to make a purchase through one of these links, “The Healthy Family and Home” website would receive a small commission.
Amazon Disclosure: “The Healthy Family and Home” website is a participant in the Amazon Services, LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.