This Creamy Vegan Tomato Basil Soup is a really simple meal that can be made in less than 30 minutes and is perfect for Meatless Monday.
Back in the day, I remember going (on a fairly frequent basis) to a popular french chain restaurant, la Madeleine, and always ordering their Tomato Basil Soup.
It was so popular, they sold it in jars to purchase and take home with you…for around $8.00 a jar.
If you’re trying to eat clean and vegan, the problem with traditional tomato basil soup recipes is they typically contain butter and heavy cream.
The “copycat” recipes online for la Madeleine’s famous tomato basil soup use 1/4 pound of butter and 1 cup of heavy cream.
But the good thing is, you can make a healthier version and have the same creaminess without using dairy.
A common vegan replacement for heavy cream is cashews and when blended, they give your recipe a smooth, thick, creamy texture which is exactly what you want in this soup.
I like to sprinkle hemp seeds on top of mine to give it a little extra vegan protein.
This healthier version is vegan, gluten-free, dairy-free and paleo-friendly!
Want more healthy meal and entree recipes? Check out Spicy Chickpea and Tomato Soup, Creamy Red Lentil and Kale Soup, Vegan Stuffed Pepper Soup or my Clean Eating eCookbook with an entire chapter of 20 healthy, clean eating meal and entree recipes just like this one that you will love!
5 Fast Facts About Tomatoes:*
- contains lycopenes which are cancer fighting agents
- high in beta-carotene
- excellent anti-oxidant
- high in vitamin A and K
- high in chromium which helps control blood sugar levels
5 Fast Facts About Basil:*
- 2 teaspoons provide 60% dv of vitamin K
- 2 teaspoons provide 5.9% dv of calcium
- provides anti-inflammatory benefits
- good for digestive tract health
- anti-oxidant and anti-bacterial
5 Fast Facts About Onions:*
- rich source of sulfur compounds
- excellent for cardiovascular health
- inhibits bone loss in women
- reduced blood pressure
- lowers blood cholesterol levels
5 Fast Facts About Garlic:*
- regulates blood sugar levels
- lowers high blood pressure
- contains anti-bacterial and analgesic properties
- helps to lower cholesterol levels
5 Fast Facts About Almonds (Almond Milk):*
- helps to regulate cholesterol and blood pressure
- energy booster
- loaded with calcium and fiber
- 1/4 cup contains 8 grams of vegan protein
- high in anti-oxidants
5 Fast Facts About Extra-Virgin Olive Oil:*
- lowers blood cholesterol levels
- rich in anti-oxidants
- improves bone mineralization and calcification
- excellent protection from heart attack and stroke
- contains anti-inflammatory benefits
5 Fast Facts About Celery:*
- improves immune system
- reduces blood pressure
- extremely alkalizing food
- helps to lower cholesterol
5 Fast Facts About Himalayan Pink Salt:*
- contains 84 minerals
- unrefined, unprocessed, raw
- promotes stable pH balance in cells
- controls water levels in the body
- aids digestion and facilitates better nutrient absorption
*These statements have not been evaluated by Food and Drug Administration. This information is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.
Where To Buy: If you have trouble finding any of the ingredients to make this recipe, you can order online from Amazon and have them delivered straight to your door!
Tip #1: I like to make homemade almond milk, which I don’t add any sweeteners to it. If you use a store-bought brand, make sure it’s unsweetened.
Tip #2: You can add different toppings, like gluten-free bread crumbs, sliced avocados, chopped fresh basil or hemp seeds (which will add extra vegan protein).
Tip #3: For the tomato sauce and paste, I like to use the Bionaturae brand because they are organic, the only ingredients are “tomatoes” (no salt added) and they come in glass jars so I don’t have to worry about BPA-lined cans and the acidity from the tomatoes.
Affiliate Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links. This means that if you were to make a purchase through one of these links, “The Healthy Family and Home” website would receive a small commission.
Amazon Disclosure: “The Healthy Family and Home” website is a participant in the Amazon Services, LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.