I really, really, really wanted to make the original “Green Dragon Dressing” by Truth Calkins…truly I did.
I watched his video about how to make it and because it had so many nutrient dense ingredients, I knew I couldn’t pass it up.
It’s hard to not be amazed by his extensive knowledge on nutrients and superfoods. I heart Truth Calkins!
Here is a description of Truth Calkins’ Green Dragon Dressing:
- Taste: Spicy, hot, salty, tangy, with a touch of sweet
- Beneficial For: Candida, Cleansing, Detoxification, and Increasing Circulation
- Suggested Usage: Add on top of fish, cooked veggies, quinoa, salad, or just about anything else!
The recipe contains a lot of expensive, hard-to-find specialty superfoods and while I totally agree 110% that the ingredients in the original Green Dragon Dressing Kit are some of the best superfoods known to man, the fact is, the average person can’t afford them – including me.
If you are already eating raw or healthy, then you know how expensive superfoods can be. They are “super” foods, but they are also “super” expensive.
Since I can’t afford to buy all the ingredients in the original recipe, I decided to make a “poor man’s” version.
The foundation of the recipe was relatively inexpensive and still very nutritious and healthy even without the added expensive superfoods.
I took the basic ingredients, cilantro, olive oil, tamari, onion, jalapeno, apple cider vinegar and raw honey to made a Poor Man’s version of the “Green Dragon Dressing” recipe.
As Truth explains in his video, cilantro is good for detoxifying the body of heavy metals, yellow onions are high in sulfur and is a powerful antioxidant, apple cider vinegar is alkaline forming, detoxifies the joints, helps remove plaque and deposits from the cardiovascular system, cleans the kidneys, and is good for the lymphatic system. The olive oil has good omega fats and is a good antioxidant.
Here’s a list of the superfood ingredients that are missing from the original recipe:
- Longevity Superfoods Chlorella Powder 250 grams – $23.97
- Synergy Company Klamath Blue Green Algae Crystals – $54.97
- UMAC Liquid Marine Phytoplankton – $39.97
- Omica Organics Super Ionic Fulvic Acid – $31.97
- David Wolfe Foods Raw Unfiltered Olive Oil – $49.97
- Longevity Superfoods Ashitaba Extract – $58.26
I have never tried the original version to be able to compare the two, but the Poor Man’s version was really, really good!
It’s green, creamy, a little tangy, with a hint of sweetness and a hint of the tamari and is s a perfect blend of flavors.
And, it’s really quick and easy to make in a Vitamix and only takes a matter of minutes.
You really should watch the videos below if you can, it has a lot of good information on them:
5 Fast Facts About Cilantro:
- contains powerful anti-oxidants
- helps to remove toxins and heavy metals
- promotes healthy liver function
- helps to control blood sugar
5 Fast Facts About Onions:
- rich source of sulfur compounds
- excellent for cardiovascular health
- inhibits bone loss in women
- reduced blood pressure
- lowers blood cholesterol levels
5 Fast Facts About Jalapenos:
- excellent antioxidant
- thermogenic food
- anti-inflammatory agent
- high in vitamins A and C
- contains anti-bacterial properties
5 Fast Facts About Extra Virgin Olive Oil:
- lowers blood cholesterol levels
- rich in anti-oxidants
- improves bone mineralization and calcification
- excellent protection from heart attack and stroke
- contains anti-inflammatory benefits
5 Fast Facts About Flax Oil (Flax Seeds):
- high in omega-3 essential fatty acids
- contains soluble and insoluble fiber
- super high in lignans
- provides anti-oxidant and anti-inflammatory benefits
- provides cardiovascular benefits
5 Fast Facts About Apple Cider Vinegar:
- anti-viral, anti-bacterial, anti-fungal
- maintains proper pH balance in the body
- regulates blood pressure
- helps to reduce bad cholesterol
- loaded with potassium
5 Fast Facts About Raw Honey:
- contains anti-bacterial and anti-fungal properties
- contains immune boosting anti-viral properties
- super high in B vitamins: B1, B2, B3, B5 and B6
- contains natural anti-oxidants that block free radicals
- high in minerals magnesium and potassium
5 Fast Facts About Spirulina:
- boosts immune system
- normalizes cholesterol
- rich protein content with 50 -70% protein by weight
- same calcium, phosphorus and magnesium content as milk
- contains all essential amino acids
Where to Buy: If you have trouble finding any of the ingredients to make this recipe, you can order online from Amazon and have them delivered right to your door:
Good News…This is a THFH Vitamix Recipe!
You can make this healthy, clean eating recipe using a Vitamix high-speed blender!
Use my Vitamix affiliate code 06-007276 to get FREE STANDARD SHIPPING
and you can purchase a new or refurbished Vitamix with an easy, interest-free 5 payment plan.
Click here or the ad below to start shopping!
Tip #1: Don’t worry if the dressing separates – it’s normal. I just shake mine up before serving and it’s good to go.
Tip #3: You can make this a gluten-free dressing by using a gluten-free tamari.