Learn How To Make The Official Medical Medium "Heavy Metal Detox Smoothie" which is made with clean, real food ingredients and is part of the Medical Medium healing protocol. I also share step-by-step instructions and helpful tips!
Here's Why This Recipe Works
Here's why this recipe works - my top 3 reasons:
- Made with clean, real food ingredients
- A quick and healthy breakfast option
- Enjoy as a smoothie or smoothie bowl
Made With Clean, Real Food Ingredients
Just like the recipes you will find on my website, this smoothie recipe is made with clean, real food ingredients that are nutrient-dense.
Some of them you may have never heard of and may not have on hand.
But not to worry, I will share links with you below of where I purchase my ingredients.
A Quick And Healthy Breakfast Option
This is a perfect recipe to make in the morning because it takes about 5 minutes to make.
Simply add all the ingredients to your blender and it's ready to go!
Ideally, it should be enjoyed 15-30 minutes after drinking 100% celery juice on an empty stomach first thing in the morning.
To learn how to make celery juice, visit my Medical Medium Celery Juice Protocol post.
Enjoy As A Smoothie Or Smoothie Bowl
You can make this recipe as a drinkable smoothie or as a thick smoothie bowl.
The only difference is using frozen bananas instead of fresh for a smoothie bowl.
And, using water to thin it out for a drinkable smoothie.
Do You Need A Heavy Metal Detox Smoothie?
You probably haven't given much thought to how much exposure you've had to heavy metals over the course of your life.
But if you stop and think back as far as you can remember, it might just surprise you.
Have you had any of the following at any point in your life:
- Mercury Fillings (me - yes!)
- Mercury Filling Removal (me - yes!)
- X-Rays (me - yes, numerous times!)
- CT Scans (me - yes, several times!)
- Flu Shots (me - no)
- Aluminum (mainstream deodorant (me - yes!), soda cans (me - no), aluminum foil/baking pans (me - yes!)
Some other sources of heavy metal exposure are metal cookware, old lead-based paint, batteries, and even pesticides and herbicides.
In the book, "Liver Rescue", the author Anthony William goes into great detail about the effects of heavy metals in the body and how to safely remove them. I highly recommend reading his book.
How To Make The Medical Medium "Heavy Metal Detox Smoothie": Step-by-Step Instructions
Here is how to make this recipe and I'll show you with step-by-step instructions below.
Step 1: Gather All The Ingredients
Firstly, gather all the ingredients needed to make the recipe.
If you want to use frozen bananas, make sure they are prepped a day in advance.
Simply slice (2) bananas into bite-size pieces and place them in the freezer overnight.
Step 2: Blend All Ingredients
Secondly, add all the ingredients to a Vitamix and blend until creamy and smooth.
If you are using frozen bananas and frozen blueberries, you will need to use the tamper.
Add just enough water to help it blend, but without making it too watery.
Expert Tips + Ingredient Substitutions For "Heavy Metal Detox Smoothie"
Here are some expert tips to make this recipe perfectly:
Before I begin, I will share some helpful tips regarding the ingredients needed to make the "Heavy Metal Detox Smoothie".
However, if you want to learn about the healing benefits of each ingredient and what role they play in the smoothie, please grab a copy of his "Liver Rescue" book for more information.
Bananas. The original recipe calls for (2) bananas. I change the type of bananas I use depending on what mood I'm in each morning. For example, sometimes I want a quick smoothie and sometimes I want to sit down and enjoy a thick smoothie bowl.
Here's what you'll need to do for each:
- Fresh Bananas - use these if you want a thinner, drinkable smoothie consistency.
- Frozen Bananas - use these if you want a thicker, smoothie bowl consistency - as shown in my photos. Simply cut two bananas into bite-sized pieces and freeze overnight. Another helpful tip is to meal-prep the bananas. For example, I buy 4-6 bunches of bananas at a time. Once they become "spotty", my son and I "prep" the bananas. We cut them into bite-size pieces and freeze them all at once. I love to do this because not only will I have frozen bananas ready for my Heavy Metal Detox Smoothie, but also for "nice" cream at a moment's notice. I actually panic when I don't have a freezer full of frozen bananas!
Wild Blueberries. It's very important to make sure you are using tiny "wild blueberries" and not the larger "cultivated" blueberries. The wild blueberries are a critical ingredient in this recipe so they shouldn't be substituted. I buy bags of organic wild blueberries from Whole Foods and use an entire bag per smoothie, as they come to right at (2) cups.
Another alternative, when you don't have access to frozen wild blueberries, is to use wild blueberry powder. I keep a bag at home as a back-up for when I'm not able to use frozen wild blueberries. I use the Medical Medium recommended brand which you can buy online.
Cilantro. You will want to make sure the cilantro is fresh and organic, if possible. I know it sounds odd to add cilantro to a smoothie, but the taste is very subtle. My two boys will even drink the smoothie with cilantro added.
Orange Juice. It's best to use fresh-squeezed orange juice. Using store-bought pasteurized orange juice will not have the same nutritional value as fresh-squeezed. I cut the orange in half and squeeze the juice right into my Vitamix.
Barley Grass Juice Powder. Make sure you purchase barley grass juice powder and not barley grass powder. I use the Medical Medium recommended brand which you can purchase online.
Spirulina. There are so many different brands to choose from so I just stick with the Medical Medium recommended brand which you can purchase online.
Atlantic Dulse. This ingredient has become harder and harder to find as more and more people are discovering Medical Medium (which is a good thing!). There are several different varieties to choose from. For example:
- Whole Leaf
I used to buy the whole leaf and put a few leaves in at a time. When the whole leaves are sold out, I use organic dulse powder and add (1) teaspoon to my smoothie.
Water. If you add water to your smoothie to give it a thinner consistency, make sure you are using the purest water possible. I use a Berkey water filter system for all my water needs. Since the purpose of consuming a "heavy metal detox smoothie" is to assist the body of removing heavy metals from the body, it is counterproductive to use tap water with a host of impurities.
Vitamix. I exclusively use a Vitamix high-speed blender for all my blender recipes (you can also make celery juice with it too!). However, don't feel like you can't make this recipe if you don't have one. You should be able to make this in a regular blender since it doesn't have any hard or difficult ingredients to blend. You may want to skip the frozen bananas and just use fresh as that takes extra work to blend those in addition to the frozen blueberries.
Optional Add-Ins To The "Heavy Metal Detox Smoothie"
The following ingredients are not part of the original "Heavy Metal Detox Smoothie" recipe. However, they are ingredients that Medical Medium recommends adding to your diet. Therefore, I add the following ingredients to my smoothie for extra nutritional benefits.
Fresh Aloe Vera. I add a large section of fresh aloe vera to my smoothie every day. Simply cut off a section, slice off the outer layer (as you would filet a fish) and use only the inner clear gel part. I buy my aloe vera from Whole Foods but I've seen it online on Amazon too.
Pitaya. I try to add this to my smoothies every day. There are two ways to add pitaya to your diet:
- Frozen Pitaya - If I have frozen pitaya on hand, I will use this. Keep in mind that it will make your smoothie extra frosty, especially if you use frozen bananas too. I buy my organic frozen pitaya from Whole Foods and Target.
- Pitaya Powder - I use the organic pitaya powder when I'm out of frozen pitaya. I add (1) tablespoon to my smoothies each morning. You can buy organic pitaya powder here and here.
Liquid Zinc. Since liquid zinc doesn't really have a distinct flavor, I add (1) dropper to my smoothies each day. I use the Medical Medium recommended Liquid Zinc which you can buy online.
Want More Healthy Plant-Based Vegan Smoothie Recipes?
Check out these:
- Cherry Banana Smoothie
- Raspberry Acai Smoothie Bowl
- Mixed Berry Protein Smoothie Bowl
- or my CLEAN EATING Cookbook with 75+ plant-based vegan + gluten-free recipes made with clean, real food ingredients just like this one that you will love!
How To Make The Medical Medium "Heavy Metal Detox Smoothie"
- Add all ingredients to a Vitamix and blend until well combined.
- For a thick, smoothie bowl texture: use (2) frozen bananas
- For a thinner, smoothie texture: add (1) cup filtered/purified water
Hi, I'm Karielyn! I'm the published cookbook author of CLEAN DESSERTS and content creator of The Healthy Family and Home website since 2012. I specialize in creating easy, healthy plant-based recipes that are gluten-free + vegan and made with clean, real food ingredients that you can feel good about eating.