If you want a healthy vegan hummus recipe with a twist from the traditional version, here’s a nice Vegan Sun-Dried Tomato Hummus that’s really easy to make.
While the ultimate in nutrition would be to make it with raw sprouted chickpeas (see my Raw Sprouted Chickpea Hummus recipe), sometimes quick and easy is in order.
I happened to have two cans of organic garbanzo beans (aka chickpeas) it my kitchen cabinet, as well as some organic sun-dried tomatoes left over from the Raw Stuffed Kale Leaves with Mint Cashew Aioli recipe I made earlier this week, so this was perfect to try.
It took about 5 minutes to make in my food processor and didn’t last much longer than that.
One more thing I forgot. If you have children, you ~have~ to get these cute little stainless steel vegetable cutters for their veggies and fruits! They are under $4.00 with free shipping and come in a set of 4. They are really small, but perfect for little hands.
I used them once to cut out shapes with bananas and when my boys ate them, their response was “Mmmm..these taste so good!” And….they were just plain bananas. But I guess because they were cut out in a cute shape they somehow magically tasted better.
5 Fast Facts About Chickpeas:
- excellent source of fiber
- good source of vegan protein
- can help lower cholesterol
- provides better regulation of blood sugar
- can help decrease cardiovascular risks
5 Fast Facts About Tahini (Sesame Seeds):
- high in calcium (35% dv)
- excellent antioxidant
- lowers cholesterol
- reduces inflammation
- high in manganese (44% dv) and magnesium (31% dv)
5 Fast Facts About Tomatoes:
- contains cancer fighting agents
- high in beta-carotene
- excellent antioxidant
- high in vitamin K and A
- high in chromium mineral
5 Fast Facts About Olive Oil:
- lowers blood cholesterol levels
- rich in antioxidants
- improves bone mineralization and calcification
- excellent protection from heart attack and stroke
- provides anti-inflammatory benefits
5 Fast Facts About Garlic:
- regulates blood sugar levels
- lowers high blood pressure
- anti-bacterial and analgesic properties
- contains anti-viral properties
- lowers cholesterol levels
5 Fast Facts About Lemons:
- extremely alkalizing to the body
- blood purifier
- excellent for detoxification
- balances blood sugar levels
- powerful anti-bacterial properties
5 Fast Facts About Pink Himalayan Salt:
- contains 84 minerals
- unrefined, unprocessed, raw
- promotes stable pH balance in cells
- controls water levels in the body
- aids digestion and facilitates better nutrient absorption