This easy Crunchy Raw Vegan Protein Energy Ball recipe is one of my top 3 favorite snacks because it is simple to make and has so much nutrition packed into each tiny little chocolate ball.
I’m especially excited to share these with you because they were one of the very first recipes I created when I first started eating raw foods to help with my sweet cravings.
And there are so many different possibilities with them!
They are great to just leave plain if you’re in a hurry or will just snack on them during the day.
You could also dress them up for the holidays or a special occasion by rolling them in a variety of different toppings – sesame seeds, sunflower seeds, carob powder, cacao nibs, chia seeds, coconut flakes, and on and on.
Some of the toppings I used in the photo above were organic sesame seeds, organic chia seeds, organic maca powder, organic shredded coconut flakes, organic raw cacao powder and crushed organic walnuts…yum!
Be creative! But most of all, enjoy them…they are good for you and guilt-free.
And, they’re made with clean, real food ingredients and are raw, vegan, gluten-free, dairy-free, paleo-friendly and contain no refined sugar!
Want more healthy, clean eating ball and truffle recipes? Check out my Vegan Peanut Butter Protein Balls, Pistachio and Matcha Truffles, Cacao Nib Superfood Truffles or my Clean Eating Cookbook with an entire chapter of 20 healthy, clean eating truffles and balls recipes you will love!
5 Fast Facts About Chia Seeds:*
- excellent source of healthy omega fatty acids – 700% more than salmon
- contains 500% more calcium than milk
- more antioxidants than flaxseeds or blueberries
- excellent source of dietary fiber with 6 g
- contains 20% of easily digestible protein
5 Fast Facts About Cacao Nibs:*
- an excellent source of antioxidants
- contains one of the highest dietary sources of magnesium
- one ounce has an amazing 9 grams of fiber
- one ounce contains 4 grams of protein
- one ounce contains 6% of daily value of iron
5 Fast Facts About Sesame Seeds:*
- high in calcium at 35% daily value
- excellent antioxidant
- daily value of 44% manganese and 31% magnesium
- daily value of 73% copper and 29% iron
- helps to reduce inflammation and lower cholesterol
5 Fast Facts About Raw Protein Powder (Garden of Life brand):*
- 17 grams of raw protein
- 21 grams of an organic raw sprout blend
- 270 mg of raw probiotic and enzyme blend
- 1 mg of mixed tocopherols
- 3 grams of fiber
5 Fast Facts About Raw Cacao Powder:*
- contains over 300 compounds including calcium, protein, magnesium, copper, zinc and iron
- super high concentration of antioxidants
- contains 4 different neurotransmitters that promotes a positive outlook and acts as an anti-depressant
- contains essential fatty acids which help to decrease appetite
- can help to decrease blood pressure
5 Fast Facts About Almonds (Almond Flour):*
- helps to regulate cholesterol and blood pressure
- a natural energy booster
- loaded with protein, calcium and fiber
- high in antioxidants
- can help to reduce the risk of heart disease
5 Fast Facts About Coconut Oil:*
- super high in lauric acid
- rich in antioxidants
- contains natural microbial and anti-bacterial agents
- helps to improve metabolism
- improves cholesterol levels
*These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This information is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.
Tip #1: I use the Garden of Life Organic “Raw Meal Protein” to keep the recipe “raw”, but feel free to use your favorite vanilla vegan protein powder. I use the scoop that comes inside the container, which is considered to be “one serving” and is equal to (4) regular tablespoons. So if you use a different brand of protein powder, just make sure you use (4) tablespoons and not the scoop it comes with. Also, they may taste a little different depending on what protein powder you use and the sweetener it contains.
Tip #2: You can use your favorite liquid sweetener like organic maple syrup, organic date nectar, organic coconut nectar, etc. This is what ‘holds” everything together. Just start with about (2) tablespoons of sweetener and stir everything together until it gets to a paste-like consistency that will hold a ball shape. You can add an extra tablespoon if you need to. I don’t like too much sweetness in mine so I only use enough to hold them together, not for the “sweetness”.
Tip #4: This recipe makes approximately 20 small balls or 10 larger sized balls, depending on how big you make them.
Crunchy Raw Vegan Protein Energy Balls
Yield 20 small balls
Raw / Vegan / Gluten-Free / Dairy-Free / No-Bake / Paleo-Friendly / No Refined Sugar
- Add all ingredients to a food processor and process until everything is well combined and in a crumbly, paste-type consistency.
- Scoop out a small spoonful at a time and squeeze tightly in the palm of your hands, then roll them into a small ball shape.
- Serve plain, or roll in organic sesame seeds, organic cacao nibs, organic shredded coconut flakes, organic raw cacao powder, organic sunflower seeds, organic chia seeds, etc.
- Store in the refrigerator in an air-tight BPA-free container and they will become firmer.
Get all your organic ingredients delivered straight to your door at up to 25 - 50% off retail by cutting out the middleman and retail markups with a Thrive Market membership and save 15% off on your first order.
The recipe and photographs for "Crunchy Raw Protein Energy Balls" by Karielyn Tillman of The Healthy Family and Home website are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution Non-Commercial No-Derivatives 4.0 International License and cannot be used without my written permission.
Recipe Roundups: Food Bloggers are always welcome to use a photo and a link back to my original post to share on recipe roundups without requesting permission.
Affiliate Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links. This means that if you were to make a purchase through one of these links, “The Healthy Family and Home” website would receive a small commission at no additional cost to you.
Amazon Disclosure: “The Healthy Family and Home” website is a participant in the Amazon Services, LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.
Thank you for your support of this website!