You can’t go wrong with these Gluten-Free Vegan Flourless Chocolate Peanut Butter Thumbprint Cookies because they are a favorite that everyone will love.
I based them off my Gluten-Free Vegan Flourless Caramel Thumbprint Cookies, which used my Vegan Caramel Sauce as the filling.
So to change things up just a little bit, these are flourless, egg-free peanut butter cookies are filled with a chocolate + peanut butter filling and then drizzled with more of the same filling. You can never have too much!
It takes less than 30 minutes, including baking time, to make these cookies and they are especially good right out of the refrigerator after the filling has firmed up and is nice and thick.
Traditional, and even homemade, versions contain the typical white flour, eggs, butter, etc. and ingredient lists like these:
S.A.D. (Standard American Diet) Homemade Thumbprint Cookies:
Typical Ingredients: 1 3/4 cup white flour, 1 1/2 sticks butter, 2/3 cup white sugar, 1 egg
S.A.D. (Standard American Diet) Panera Bread Raspberry Almond Thumbprint Cookies:
Ingredients: Almond Thumbprint Cookie (Unsalted Butter with Natural Flavors (Pasteurized Cream [Milk], Natural Flavors), Unbleached Enriched Wheat Flour (Wheat Flour, Malted Barley Flour, Niacin, Reduced Iron, Thiamine Mononitrate, Riboflavin, Folic Acid). Raspberry Filling (Raspberries, Cane Sugar, Modified Corn Starch, Natural Flavor, Citric Acid, Organic Beet Juice), Sugar, Almond Flour, Powdered Sugar, Modified Corn and Tapioca Starch, Salt, Natural Vanilla Flavor, Powdered Sugar
My healthier version is vegan, gluten-free, dairy-free, egg-free, grain-free, flourless and contains no refined sugar.
Want more healthy dessert recipes? Check out Gluten-Free Vegan Flourless Snickerdoodle Cookies, Gluten-Free Vegan Flourless Fudgy Chocolate Avocado Cookies, Gluten-Free Vegan Flourless Lemon Chia Seed Cookies or my Clean Eating Cookbook with 3 entire chapters of healthy, clean eating recipes just like this one that you will love!
5 Fast Facts About Peanuts (Peanut Butter):*
- excellent source of vitamin E
- high in folate
- contains tryptophan which helps fight depression
- good source of fiber
- excellent source of vegan protein
5 Fast Facts About Almonds (Almond Flour):*
- helps to regulate cholesterol and blood pressure
- energy booster
- loaded with calcium and fiber
- 1/4 cup contains 8 grams of vegan protein
- high in anti-oxidants
5 Fast Facts About Maple Syrup:*
- contains manganese and zinc
- super high in anti-oxidants
- helps with inflammation
- 1/4 cup contains more calcium than the same amount of milk
- 1/4 cup contains more potassium than a banana
5 Fast Facts About Coconut Oil:*
- super high in lauric acid
- rich in antioxidants
- contains natural microbial and anti-bacterial agents
- helps to improve metabolism
- improves cholesterol levels
5 Fast Facts About Vanilla Bean Powder:*
- high in anti-oxidants
- can help reduce inflammation
- contains small traces of minerals
- 1 tablespoon contains 2 g of fiber
5 Fast Facts About Himalayan Pink Salt:*
- contains 84 minerals
- unrefined, unprocessed, raw
- promotes stable pH balance in cells
- controls water levels in the body
- aids digestion and facilitates better nutrient absorption
*These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This information is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.
Gluten-Free Vegan Flourless Chocolate Peanut Butter Thumbprint Cookies
Yield 10 - 12 cookies
Vegan / Gluten-Free / Dairy-Free / Egg-Free / Grain-Free / Flourless / No Refined Sugar
For the cookies:
- 2 1/2 cups almond flour
- 1/2 cup organic peanut butter
- 1/3 cup organic maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon organic vanilla bean powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 pinch Himalayan pink salt
For the filling:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Prepare the cookies:
- Add all ingredients for the cookies to a medium-sized mixing bowl and stir until well combined.
- Take out a spoonful at a time, squeeze it tightly with your hands then flatten it between the palms of your hand.
- Place each one on a baking pan lined with parchment paper.
- Before putting the pan in the oven, make a deep thumbprint in the center of each cookie.
- Bake at 350 degrees for approximately 18-20 minutes, or until they are golden brown.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool completely before adding the filling. You may have to re-do the thumbprint if it fluffed up while baking, but do it right after the cookies come out of the oven, before they cool.
Prepare the filling:
- Add all ingredients for the filling to a small saucepan and melt on lowest heat, stirring until it's creamy and smooth, but taking care not to burn it.
- Allow to cool completely before adding to the cookies.
- Once the cookies and filling are cooled, take a spoonful of the filling and place it in the center of the cookie, where the thumbprint is.
- Optional: Drizzle any leftover filling over the top of the cookies.
- Place the cookies in the refrigerator for about 10-15 minutes for the filling to firm.
- Store in an air-tight BPA-free container in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
Get all your organic ingredients delivered straight to your door at up to 25 - 50% off retail by cutting out the middleman and retail markups with a Thrive Market Membership and save 15% off on your first order.
The recipe and photographs for "Gluten-Free Vegan Flourless Chocolate Peanut Butter Thumbprint Cookies" by Karielyn Tillman of The Healthy Family and Home website are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution Non-Commercial No Derivatives 4.0 International License and cannot be used without my written permission.
Recipe Roundups: Food Bloggers are always welcome to use a photo and a link back to my original post to share on recipe roundups without requesting permission.
Affiliate Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links. This means that if you were to make a purchase through one of these links, “The Healthy Family and Home” website would receive a small commission at no additional cost to you.
Amazon Disclosure: “The Healthy Family and Home” website is a participant in the Amazon Services, LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.
Thank you for your support of this website!