This Vegan Roasted Artichoke Salad with Sesame Seed Vinaigrette is an easy, customizable salad and is my submission for the September 2017 theme for The Recipe Redux.
The theme this month is: “Sheet Pan Meals – We love throwing ingredients together on a sheet pan and roasting for a simple sheet pan dinner. They make busy weeknights a bit more manageable. (And clean-up isn’t bad either!) Show us your healthy take on a sheet pan meal”.
Today, I’m going to show you how to make an easy meal that can be made on a sheet pan + parchment paper and is a base for a healthy salad that you can customize however you’d like.
We’re going to season and roast artichokes, whip up a tangy viniagrette and toss it over a bed of organic mixed salad greens. You can keep it simple and enjoy your salad just like that or you can add your favorite salad toppings like tomatoes, cucumbers, olives, onions, slivered almonds, hemp seeds, sesame seeds, etc.
You could even combine my other sheet pan veggie recipe, Clean Eating Roasted Veggie Medley, in the oven while you’re roasting the artichokes and make a roasted mixed veggie salad!
This recipe is really simple to make, isn’t a heavy meal and clean up is tossing your parchment paper and cleaning the bowl for the dressing. That’s it! No heating up the stove, pots, etc.
Quick note: I never use aluminum foil, so I highly recommend that you use unbleached parchment paper (in this recipe and all recipes) in place of aluminum foil, especially when heating something in the oven.
Hope you enjoy this healthy salad that’s vegan, gluten-free, dairy-free, soy-free, nut-free, lectin-free, alkaline and paleo-friendly.
Want more healthy salad recipes? Check out Clean Eating Vegan Greek Salad, Vegan Taco Salad with Creamy Cilantro Lime Dressing, Watermelon Basil Salad with Fresh Basil Vinaigrette or my Clean Eating Cookbook with an entire chapter of over 20 healthy and clean eating salad recipes just like this one that you will love!
5 Fast Facts About Artichokes:*
- lowers blood cholesterol levels
- rich in anti-oxidants
- improves bone mineralization and calcification
- excellent protection from heart attack and stroke
- contains anti-inflammatory benefits
5 Fast Facts About Avocado Oil:*
- healthier cooking with smoke point of 500 degrees
- may help reduce the risk of metabolic syndrome
- helps maintain healthy blood sugar levels
- provides protection from cardiovascular disease
- good source of vitamin E
5 Fast Facts About Sesame Seeds:*
- high in calcium at 35% RDA
- excellent anti-oxidant
- lowers cholesterol
- reduces inflammation
- high in phytosterol
5 Fast Facts About Apple Cider Vinegar:*
- anti-viral, anti-bacterial, anti-fungal
- maintains proper pH balance in the body
- regulates blood pressure
- helps to reduce bad cholesterol
- loaded with potassium
5 Fast Facts About Maple Syrup:*
- contains manganese and zinc
- super high in anti-oxidants
- helps with inflammation
- 1/4 cup contains more calcium than the same amount of milk
- 1/4 cup contains more potassium than a banana
5 Fast Facts About Shallots:*
- 1 cup contains 24% dv of iron
- good source of fiber
- 1 cup contains 11% potassium
- contains more antioxidants than onions
- contains 10% dv of folate
5 Fast Facts About Himalayan Pink Salt:*
- contains 84 minerals
- unrefined, unprocessed, raw
- promotes stable pH balance in cells
- controls water levels in the body
- aids digestion and facilitates better nutrient absorption
*These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This information is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.
Vegan Roasted Artichoke Salad with Sesame Seed Vinaigrette
Yield 1 - 2 servings
Vegan / Gluten-Free / Dairy-Free / Soy-Free / Lectin-Free / Nut-Free / Paleo-Friendly / No Refined Sugar
For the artichokes:
For the seasoning:
- 1/8 teaspoon Himalayan pink salt
- 1/8 teaspoon organic ground black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon organic ground garlic
- 1/8 teaspoon organic ground paprika
For the vinaigrette:
- 1 tablespoon organic sesame seeds
- 2 tablespoons 100% pure avocado oil
- 2 tablespoons organic apple cider vinegar
- 1 organic shallot (diced)
- 1 tablespoon organic maple syrup
- 1/8 teaspoon Himalayan pink salt
- 1/8 teaspoon organic black ground pepper
For the salad:
- 2 - 4 cups organic mixed salad greens
Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
Prepare the seasoning:
- Add all the ingredients for the seasoning (Himalayan pink salt, ground black pepper, ground garlic powder and ground paprika) to a small bowl and stir until well combined.
- Adjust the seasonings to your preference. Set aside.
Prepare the artichokes:
- Drain the can of artichokes, cut off the tips and cut into half or quarter pieces, whichever you prefer.
- Add the artichokes to a medium sized bowl with the avocado oil and toss until they are coated and the avocado oil is evenly distributed.
- Sprinkle the seasoning evenly over the artichokes and gently toss to make sure all pieces are covered with the seasoning.
- Transfer the seasoned artichokes to a baking pan lined with parchment paper and roast at 425 degrees for 25-30 minutes, tossing them halfway through and taking care not to over bake and burn.
Prepare the vinaigrette:
- Add all ingredients for the vinaigrette to a small bowl and whisk together until they are well combined.
- Adjust seasonings to your preference. Set aside.
- Add 1-2 handfuls of mixed salad greens to your serving plate(s) and top with the roasted artichokes.
- Optional: Add whatever other toppings you like (example: tomatoes, cucumbers, olives, red onions, peppers, slivered almonds, sesame seeds, hemp seeds, etc.)
- Drizzle with the sesame seed vinaigrette.
Get all your organic ingredients delivered straight to your door at up to 25 - 50% off retail by cutting out the middleman and retail markups with a Thrive Market Membership and save 15% off on your first order.
The recipe and photographs for "Vegan Roasted Artichoke Salad with Sesame Seed Vinaigrette" by Karielyn Tillman of The Healthy Family and Home website are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution Non-Commercial No Derivatives 4.0 International License and cannot be used without my written permission.
Affiliate Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links. This means that if you were to make a purchase through one of these links, “The Healthy Family and Home” website would receive a small commission at no additional cost to you.
Thank you for your support of this website!