I intended to make a healthy and vegan banana cream pie dessert, but it didn’t go quite as I had planned or envisioned so…I ended up with a chocolate banana cream dessert.
And I think it is actually better than what I was originally trying to create!
I started with a creamy cashew base, add some coconut milk for extra creaminess and of course, bananas.
Then I decided to add mini-chocolate chips to it…which unintentionally melted after I added it to the warm banana mixture coming out of the Vitamix, so it turned chocolate.
And so now we have a chocolate banana cream dessert to enjoy!
Here are the typical ingredients in a store-bought banana cream pie and a homemade banana cream pie recipe:
Traditional Banana Cream Pie (Store-Bought)
Ingredients: MILK, WATER, SUGAR, VEGETABLES OIL SHORTENING PARTIALLY HYDROGENATED (SOYBEANS OIL, AND/OR COTTONSEED OIL, AND/OR PALM KERNEL OIL), WHEAT FLOUR ENRICHED (FLOUR, NIACIN, VITAMIN B3, IRON, THIAMINE MONONITRATE, VITAMIN B1, RIBOFLAVIN VITAMIN B2, FOLIC ACID VITAMIN B9), CREAM, TAPIOCA STARCH MODIFIED, SALT, SODIUM CASEINATE, A MILK INGREDIENT, WHEAT STARCH, SOY LECITHIN, POLYSORBATE 60, SORBITAN MONOSTERATE, BAKING SODA, XANTHAN GUM, GUAR GUM, CALCIUM PROPIONATE, BETA CAROTENE (COLORS), SODIUM BISULFITE source: FoodFacts.com
FoodFacts.com rating: “F”
Traditional Banana Cream Pie (Homemade)
Ingredients: 1 1/4 CUP REFINED SUGAR, 1/3 CUP CORNSTARCH, 1/3 CUP COCOA, 3 CUPS MILK, 3 TABLESPOONS BUTTER, VANILLA EXTRACT, BANANAS, STORE-BOUGHT PIE CRUST, 1 CUP WHIPPED TOPPING (USUALLY COOL-WHIP)
Even the homemade version isn’t much better with lots of dairy and highly processed pie crust and whipped topping which will both have a long list of unhealthy ingredients.
This guilt-free version is made with clean ingredients and it’s vegan, gluten-free, dairy-free, paleo-friendly and contains no refined sugars.
Want more healthy dessert recipes? Check out Dark Chocolate Cups with Pistachios and Goji Berries, Clean Eating Peanut Butter Brownie Triffle, Raw Vegan Key Lime Cheesecakes or my Clean Eating eCookbook with an entire chapter of 20 healthy, clean eating recipes you will love!
- high levels of trytophan to help combat depression
- aids in weight loss
- strengthens the immune system
- high in fiber and potassium
- helps to lower blood pressure
5 Fast Facts About Cashews:*
- packed with dietary fiber
- rich in “heart friendly” mono-saturated fatty acids
- rich source of minerals
- high in magnesium and copper
- excellent source of antioxidants
5 Fast Facts About Vanilla Bean Powder:*
- high in anti-oxidants
- can help reduce inflammation
- contains small traces of minerals
- 1 teaspoon contains 3 g protein and 3 g fiber
5 Fast Facts About Pecans:*
- contains naturally occurring anti-oxidants
- helps to lower cholesterol
- high quality source of protein
- contains more 19 vitamins and minerals
- excellent source of vitamin E
5 Fast Facts About Raw Cacao Powder:*
- contains over 300 compounds including protein, calcium, copper, zinc and iron
- super high in anti-oxidants
- promotes cardiovascular health
- contains essential fats
- can help to decrease blood pressure
5 Fast Facts About Coconut Oil:*
- super high in lauric acid
- rich in antioxidants
- contains natural microbial and anti-bacterial agents
- helps to improve metabolism
- improves cholesterol levels
5 Fast Facts About Medjool Dates:*
- natural energy booster
- high in iron content
- rich in potassium
- good source of dietary fiber
- excellent source of vegan protein
*These statements have not been evaluated by Food and Drug Administration. This information is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.
And here’s another option for you…if you don’t have or can’t find some cute mini dessert glasses, you can still make a Chocolate Banana Cream Pie Dessert by using a couple of individual creme brulee ramekin dishes.
The one below is right about 2 servings and the recipe will make two of these so you can make 2 small individual desserts to enjoy or share.
Where to Buy: If you have trouble finding any of the ingredients to make this recipe, you can order online from Amazon and have them delivered straight to your door!
Affiliate Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links. This means that if you were to make a purchase through one of these links, “The Healthy Family and Home” website would receive a small commission.
Amazon Disclosure: “The Healthy Family and Home” website is a participant in the Amazon Services, LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.