This Vegan Chocolate Chip Raspberry Ripple Swirl Ice Cream is an easy and healthy recipe made with clean ingredients! It's the perfect plant-based dessert that can be prepared in about 5 minutes, is banana-free, and can be made with fresh or frozen raspberries!
Here's Why This Recipe Works
My top 3 favorite reasons:
- It's Made Without Bananas
- Can Be Prepared In About 5 Minutes
- Made With Clean Ingredients
You can feel good about making my healthy, plant-based recipe because it's vegan, gluten-free, dairy-free, soy-free, egg-free, contains no refined sugar, and is paleo-friendly.
What Goes Into This Recipe
Here's a list of the nutrient-dense ingredients that are used to make this recipe:
How To Make This Recipe: Step-by-Step Instructions
Here's how to make this recipe and I'll show you how easy it is with step-by-step instructions.
Before beginning, you'll need to make sure the inner container of your ice cream maker has been left in the freezer overnight, or longer.
Step 1: Prepare The Ice Cream Mixture
Firstly, add all the ingredients for the ice cream mixture to a Vitamix and blend until it's creamy and smooth.
This recipe can be made with or without cashews, so if you will not be using cashews, you can make the mixture in a regular blender if you don't have a Vitamix.
Step 2: Transfer The Mixture To An Ice Cream Maker
Secondly, pour the ice cream mixture into the frozen inner container of your ice cream maker.
Prepare the ice cream according to your machine's directions - which can vary.
Step 3: Add The Add-Ins
Thirdly, add the raspberry + chocolate chip add-ins to the ice cream and gently stir in by hand.
Take extra care to not "over-stir" if you are using frozen raspberries because they will "bleed" into the ice cream and make it pink instead of having a swirl.
The appearance will look different but it will taste the same.
Step 4: Serve
Lastly, there are two options to serve your ice cream:
- Soft-Serve: Serve it immediately after stirring in the add-ins.
- Scoopable: Transfer the ice cream mixture to a 9 x 5 loaf pan, spreading it evenly. Next, cover it tightly and place it in the freezer for at least 3-4 hours, or overnight. Allow it to thaw slightly (about 10 minutes) so it will be easier to scoop.
Store any leftover ice cream in an air-tight BPA-free container in the freezer (for scoopable ice cream) or the refrigerator (for soft-serve ice cream).
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I Make This Without Cashews?
Yes! I added the cashews to give the ice cream and extra creamy texture, but you can still make it without them. Simply omit them and follow the rest of the recipe as is.
Is This Recipe Healthy?
In my opinion, yes!
Here's the ingredient list for a popular and similar store-bought ice cream:
- S.A.D. (Standard American Diet) Haagen-Daz Black Raspberry Chip Ice Cream Ingredients: Cream, Milk Nonfat, Sugar, Chocolate Chips (Sugar, Coconut Oil, Butter Oil, Soy Lecithin, Lecithin, Flavors Natural, Corn Starch, Milk), Eggs Yolks, Flavors Natural, Raspberries Black Juice from Concentrate (Water, Raspberries Black Juice Concentrate), Vanilla Beans Ground
My recipe is made with only 4 ingredients, uses real organic fruit, and is 100% vegan!
Can I Make This Recipe Medical Medium Compliant?
Yes! Simply follow these substitutions:
- Omit the chocolate chips
- Use alcohol-free vanilla extract
Do I Have To Use A Vitamix?
Using a Vitamix will give the best results and the creamiest texture. If you will not be using a Vitamix, you will need to soak the cashews before blending them to make them as soft as possible.
- Add the cashews to a bowl filled with filtered/purified water and soak for 30-60 minutes. Drain and rinse them before adding to your blender.
The texture of the ice cream mixture may have a "grainy" texture, but the taste will be the same.
Karielyn's Expert Tips + Ingredient Substitutions
Here are some of my expert tips to make this recipe perfectly:
Raspberries: I've used both organic frozen raspberries and fresh organic fresh raspberries and both work fine. However, frozen raspberries may "bleed" into the ice cream and might turn it pink. It wouldn't affect the flavor but may change the appearance slightly.
Sweetener: I don't like my ice cream overly sweet, so I only used 1/4 cup of sweetener since I added the chocolate chips (which are also sweet). Feel free to add extra sweetener if you prefer.
Coconut Milk: Make sure you use "full-fat" coconut milk in a can and add the entire can to the blender with the coconut fat + coconut water.
Chocolate Chips: I find the "mini" chocolate chips work better since they're smaller, but you could also use standard-size chocolate chips.
No-Churn Method: You could also make this recipe without an ice cream maker. Just pour the ice cream mixture into a 9 x 5 baking dish and gently stir/swirl in the raspberries. I've tried to make no-churn ice cream with chocolate chips before and they all just sink to the bottom. If you want to make it without an ice cream mixture, you can add them and let them sink, or just sprinkle them on top right before you serve it.
Want More Healthy Plant-Based Dessert Recipes?
Check out these:
- Chocolate and Peanut Butter Swirl Ice Cream
- Healthy Peanut Butter Cups
- Chocolate Crunch Bars
- or my CLEAN DESSERTS Cookbook with 72 plant-based no-bake dessert recipes made with clean, real food ingredients just like this one that you will love!
Did You Make This Recipe?
I'd love to hear about it! Please give it a rating and leave a comment below...it would make my day! 🙂
Vegan Chocolate Chip Raspberry Swirl Ice Cream
For the ice cream:
- 1 1/2 cups organic raw cashews
- 1 can organic full-fat coconut cream (13.5-ounce can)
- 1/2 cup organic vegan cane sugar
- 3 tablespoons organic refined coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon arrowroot powder
- 1 teaspoon organic pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon Himalayan pink salt
For the add-ins:
- 1 cup organic raspberries
- 1/4 cup Enjoy Life semi-sweet mini chocolate chips
- Pre-freeze the inner container of your ice cream maker overnight.
Prepare the ice cream:
- Add all ingredients for the ice cream to a Vitamix and blend until everything is well combined.
- Pour the mixture into the pre-frozen inner container of your ice cream maker and proceed using your machine's directions (mine is ready in about 20-30 minutes).
Add the add-ins:
- When the ice cream is ready, add in the add-ins and gently stir them in by hand. Take care to not over stir the raspberries (especially if they are frozen) because they will "bleed" and turn the ice cream pinkish. It won't affect the flavor, just the appearance.
- Serve immediately as a "soft-serve" ice cream or transfer the mixture to a 9 x 5 loaf pan, cover tightly, and place it in the freezer for 3-4 hours for traditional "scoopable" ice cream.
Hi, I'm Karielyn! I'm the published cookbook author of CLEAN DESSERTS and content creator of The Healthy Family and Home website since 2012. I specialize in creating easy, healthy plant-based recipes that are gluten-free + vegan (with a heavy focus on Medical Medium® compliant) and made with clean, real food ingredients that you can feel good about eating.