Since summertime is upon us, I have a fresh and light salsa alternative for you today…Clean Eating Raw Tomatillo Salsa.
I am a lover of all things salsa, tangy and spicy related, so of course this was perfect for me.
I found these little guys at Whole Foods and decided to use them to make a different style of salsa.
What is a “tomatillo”?
“Tomatillo” means “little tomato” in Spanish and they are like small green tomatoes with a tangy, citrus taste.
They come with a protective husk and have a sticky film on them from the husk that needs to be washed off before eating them.
There are many recipes out there that require you to roast the tomatillos before making the salsa, but I always feel guilty about cooking my vegetables.
I feel like I’m cooking the “life” out of them so I try not to unless I absolutely have to.
So I made this with raw tomatillos and added a habanero pepper instead of a usual jalapeno pepper and it was perfect and ready in less than 5 minutes.
What a different style of salsa? Try my Spicy Balsamic Vinegar Salsa recipe.
5 Fast Facts About Tomatillos:*
- excellent anti-oxidant
- helps to reduce coronary heart disease
- 2 small tomatillos provide 15% dv of vitamin C
- rich source of vitamin K, potassium and folate
- contains more minerals per weight than a tomato
5 Fast Facts About Garlic:*
- regulates blood sugar levels
- lowers high blood pressure
- anti-bacterial and analgesic
- helps to lower cholesterol levels
5 Fast Facts About Cilantro:*
- powerful anti-oxidant
- helps to remove toxins and heavy metals from the body
- promotes healthy liver function
- helps to control blood sugar
5 Fast Facts About Lemons:*
- extremely alkaline
- blood purifier
- excellent for detoxification
- balances blood sugar levels
- contains powerful anti-bacterial properties
5 Fast Facts About Habanero Peppers:*
- provides decreased cancer risk
- provides anti-inflammatory benefits
- contains capsaicin to prevent obesity
- helps to lower cholesterol and blood pressure
- excellent anti-oxidant
5 Fast Facts About Onions:*
- rich source of healthy sulfur compounds
- excellent for cardiovascular health
- inhibits bone loss in women
- reduces blood pressure
- lowers blood cholesterol levels
5 Fast Facts About Himalayan Pink Himalayan:*
- contains 84 minerals
- unrefined, unprocessed, raw
- promotes stable pH balance in the cells
- controls water levels in the body
- aids digestion and facilitates better nutrient absorption
*These statements have not been evaluated by Food and Drug Administration. This information is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.
Tip #1: Tomatillos need to be peeled and the sticky film washed off before using them.
Tip #2: This recipe is for a single serving size. If you need more, just double or triple the recipe ingredients.
Tip #3: I used a habanero pepper but you could use a small jalapeno pepper instead, or omit the peppers if you don’t want it too spicy.