Good things happen when I try to find something to make before it’s time to throw out veggies, like this Raw Vegan Red Pepper Basil Creamy Pine Nut Pesto.
Even though my red peppers weren’t quite ready to meet their demise, I knew had to hurry to find something yummy to make with them.
I also happened to have fresh basil so this recipe was perfect.
It has a sweetness from the basil and a little spicy from the cayenne pepper.
And, it can be made in your Vitamix faster than the time it takes for the pasta to cook.
It can be easily changed to a gluten-free dish just by using gluten-free pasta or a 100% raw dish by using veggie pasta made with a spiral vegetable slicer.
- great source of iron
- contains protein and magnesium
- high in anti-oxidants
- good as an appetite suppressant
- good source of fiber
5 Fast Facts About Red Bell Peppers:
- high in anti-oxidants
- 1 cup contains 195.8% dv of vitamin C
- excellent source of carotenoids
- contains potential anti-cancer benefits
- helps to reduce inflammation
5 Fast Facts About Basil:
- 2 teaspoons provide 60% dv of vitamin K
- 2 teaspoons provide 5.9% dv of calcium
- provides anti-inflammatory benefits
- good for digestive tract health
- anti-oxidant and anti-bacterial
5 Fast Facts About Garlic:
- regulates blood sugar levels
- lowers high blood pressure
- anti-bacterial and analgesic
- helps to lower cholesterol levels
5 Fast Facts About Extra Virgin Olive Oil:
- lowers blood cholesterol levels
- rich in anti-oxidants
- improves bone mineralization and calcification
- excellent protection from heart attack and stroke
- anti-inflammatory benefits
5 Fast Facts About Cayenne Pepper:
- increases metabolism
- helps to improve high blood pressure
- has anti-fungal properties
- circulatory stimulant which aids in detox
5 Fast Facts About Pink Himalayan Salt:
- contains 84 minerals
- unrefined, unprocessed, raw
- promotes stable pH balance in cells
- controls water levels in the body
- aids digestion and facilitates better nutrient absorption
Where to Buy: If you have trouble finding any of the ingredients to make this recipe, you can order online from Amazon and have them delivered straight to your door and show your support for The Healthy Family and Home website at the same time!
Tip #2: While a pesto is traditionally used with pasta, I actually used mine over kale as a salad dressing sprinkled with hemp seeds for a nice change of pace.
Tip #3: If you need this for more than 1-2 people, just double the ingredients in the recipe shown below.