These healthy Gluten-Free Vegan Oven-Baked Avocado Fries are my submission for the March 2017 Recipe Redux theme and are so easy to make.
The theme this month is:
"Spring Clean the Kitchen - Cook with at least 3 ingredients that are actually in your refrigerator or pantry right now. Try not to go to the store to buy anything new. Give tips on how to make a healthy dish out of whatever you have on-hand."
I actually have all these ingredients for this recipe on hand at all times because a) there are just a few ingredients to the recipe and b) they are all staple ingredients in a healthy kitchen.
This entire recipe takes about 20 minutes to make from start to finish and they will be gone in less than 2 minutes!
When I make these, I use my homemade gluten-free bread crumb mix and if you already have some pre-made, it will save you a few extra minutes in prep time.
They are really, really good with a homemade dressing or sauce like this Creamy Habanero Dressing (hot!), Smoked Paprika Habanero Sauce, Raw Vegan Creamy Chipotle Dressing or Healthy Honey Mustard Dressing (not vegan).
Baking them in the oven is much healthier than frying and they're vegan, gluten-free, dairy-free, egg-free and paleo-friendly.
Want more healthy snack and side dish recipes? Check out Oven Baked Jicama Fries with Creamy Cilantro Lime Sauce, Oven Baked Zucchini Chips, Oven Baked Green Tomatoes or my Clean Eating Cookbook with an entire chapter of 20 healthy, clean eating snacks and sides recipes just like this one that you will love!
5 Fast Facts About Avocados:*
- excellent source of vitamin E
- contains 25 essential nutrients
- contains 2 – 3 times the potassium as one banana
- has anti-inflammatory properties
- can help lower cholesterol levels
5 Fast Facts About Almonds (Almond Flour):*
- helps to regulate cholesterol and blood pressure
- energy booster
- loaded with calcium and fiber
- 1/4 cup contains 8 grams of vegan protein
- high in anti-oxidants
5 Fast Facts About Nutritional Yeast:*
- vegan source of vitamin B12
- contains 18 amino acids and is a complete protein
- boosts immune system
- excellent anti-oxidant
- contains 15 minerals
5 Fast Facts About Paprika:*
- boosts blood circulation
- one teaspoon contains 20% DV of vitamin A
- aids digestion
5 Fast Facts About Himalayan Pink Salt:*
- contains 84 minerals
- unrefined, unprocessed, raw
- promotes stable pH balance in cells
- controls water levels in the body
- aids digestion and facilitates better nutrient absorption
*These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This information is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.
Gluten-Free Vegan Oven-Baked Avocado Fries
Yield 2 - 4 servings
Vegan / Gluten-Free / Dairy-Free / Lectin-Free / Egg-Free / Paleo-Friendly
- 2 organic avocados (firm, slightly under ripe)
- 1/2 cup homemade almond milk
For the bread crumbs:
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- 1/2 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon organic ground garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon organic ground smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon Himalayan pink salt
Optional: For spicy bread crumbs, add 1/2 teaspoon organic ground cayenne pepper
Preheat oven to 420 degrees.
Prepare the bread crumbs:
- Add all ingredients for the bread crumbs to a small bowl and stir until everything is well combined. Adjust seasonings to your preference. Set aside.
Prepare the avocados:
- It's important that you have firm, slightly under ripe avocados for best results. Mushy or soft avocados will not work well.
- Slice the avocados in half and remove the pits.
- Carefully scoop out the avocados from the skins, and cut them from top to bottom into 3-4 thick strips (depending on the size of your avocados). Set aside.
- Make an assembly line from left to right: a) plate with sliced avocado b) small bowl with non-dairy milk c) small bowl with bread crumbs d) baking pan lined with parchment paper.
- Dip each avocado slice into the bowl of milk, making sure they are completely covered, then dip the avocado slice into the bowl of bread crumbs, making sure they are completely covered on both sides.
- Place the coated avocado slices on the baking pan lined with parchment paper.
- Bake at 420 degrees for approximately 10 minutes, then turn them over and bake for an additional 5-10 minutes. Baking times will vary but the outside of the avocado fries should be golden when ready.
- Serve with your favorite dip or sauce and they are best when served hot from the oven.
Get all your organic ingredients delivered straight to your door at up to 25 - 50% off retail by cutting out the middleman and retail markups with a Thrive Market Membership and save 15% off on your first order.
The recipe and photographs for "Gluten-Free Vegan Oven-Baked Avocado Fries" by Karielyn Tillman of The Healthy Family and Home website are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution Non-Commercial No Derivatives 4.0 International License and cannot be used without my written permission.
Recipe Roundups: Food Bloggers are always welcome to use a photo and a link back to my original post to share on recipe roundups without requesting permission.
Affiliate Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links. This means that if you were to make a purchase through one of these links, "The Healthy Family and Home" website would receive a small commission at no additional cost to you.
Amazon Disclosure: "The Healthy Family and Home" website is a participant in the Amazon Services, LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.
Thank you for your support of this website!
Hi, I'm Karielyn! I'm the published cookbook author of CLEAN DESSERTS and content creator of The Healthy Family and Home website since 2012. I specialize in creating easy, healthy plant-based recipes that are gluten-free + vegan (with a heavy focus on Medical Medium® compliant) and made with clean, real food ingredients that you can feel good about eating.