Enjoy an easy, creamy dessert recipe with this Lectin-Free Vegan Chocolate Avocado Ice Cream with Almond Butter Swirl!
It's a dairy-free, vegan chocolate ice cream made with healthy fat from avocados, and has an almond butter swirl (or almond butter chunks, depending on the type of almond butter you use) mixed in.
Either way, swirls or chunks, you get some in every bite!
This super easy recipe takes less than 5 minutes to make with a Vitamix and the hardest part is waiting for it to firm up in the freezer.
S.A.D. (Standard American Diet) homemade ice cream usually contains dairy, cream and eggs and store-bought ice cream can contain other ingredients like these:
S.A.D. (Standard American Diet) Chocolate Ice Cream
Typical Ingredients: Milk, Cream, High Fructose Corn Syrup, Sugar, Whey, Buttermilk, Guar Gum, Gellulose Gum, Carrageenan, Alkalized Cocoa, Monoglycerides, Diglycerides, Polysorbate 80, etc.
You can enjoy this healthy dessert because it's made with clean ingredients and is raw, vegan, gluten-free, dairy-free, lectin-free, egg-free, soy-free, no-cook, paleo-friendly and contains no refined sugar.
Want more healthy dessert recipes? Check out Gluten-Free Vegan Chocolate Turtle Ice Cream, Gluten-Free Vegan Vanilla Bean Ice Cream, Vegan Strawberry Ice Cream or my Clean Eating Cookbook with 3 entire chapters of healthy, clean eating dessert recipes just like this one that you will love!
5 Fast Facts About Coconut:*
- 2 tablespoons contain 4.6 g RDA of dietary fiber
- healthy source of medium-chain fatty acids
- can help to decrease cholesterol
- high in lauric acid
- excellent source of manganese at 60% RDA and iron at 11% RDA
5 Fast Facts About Avocados:*
- excellent source of vitamin E
- contains 25 essential nutrients
- contains 2 – 3 times the potassium as one banana
- has anti-inflammatory properties
- can help lower cholesterol levels
5 Fast Facts About Raw Cacao Powder:*
- super high in anti-oxidants
- promotes cardiovascular health
- contains essential fats
- can help to decrease blood pressure
- contains over 300 compounds including protein, calcium, copper, zinc and iron
5 Fast Facts About Almonds (Almond Butter):*
- helps to regulate cholesterol and blood pressure
- energy booster
- loaded with calcium and fiber
- 1/4 cup contains 8 grams of vegan protein
- high in anti-oxidants
5 Fast Facts About Date Nectar:*
- 25% less sugar than honey
- vegan, gluten-free, dairy-free, lectin-free, paleo
- organic + non-GMO
- great source of antioxidants
- made with organic California dates
*These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This information is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.
Dietary Substitutions For Chocolate Avocado Ice Cream:
Lectin-Free: This recipe is made with lectin-free approved ingredients, shown in the recipe below with no substitutions.
Medical Medium: Substitute the non-GMO xylitol with either organic maple syrup or organic date nectar.
Vegan + Gluten-Free: This recipe is 100% vegan + gluten-free.
Lectin-Free Vegan Chocolate Avocado Ice Cream with Almond Butter Swirl
Yield 2 servings
Vegan / Gluten-Free / Dairy-Free / Lectin-Free / Egg-Free / Soy-Free / Paleo-Friendly / No Refined Sugar
For the ice cream:
- 1 can organic full-fat coconut milk (13.5 ounce can)
- 2 organic avocados (pitted)
- 1/4 cup organic raw cacao powder
- 1/4 - 1/2 cup non-GMO xylitol
For the swirl:
Prepare the ice cream:
- Add all ingredients for the ice cream to a Vitamix and blend until it's creamy and smooth. Adjust the amount of sweetener to your preference.
- Transfer the mixture to an ice cream maker and process according to your machines directions.
Prepare the swirl:
- Add all the ingredients for the swirl to a small bowl and stir until well combined. Set aside.
- When the ice cream maker is finished making the ice cream, transfer the mixture to an air-tight BPA-free, freezer safe ice cream container and spread evenly.
- The type of almond butter you use will determine which option to use:
- Option 1: If your swirl mixture is thin, drop a spoonful of the swirl on top of the ice cream and using the tip of a sharp knife, swirl it into the ice cream mixture.
- Option 2: If your swirl mixture is thick, take out a small amount at a time and roll it into small balls (you should have +/- 30 tiny balls). Drop the balls into the ice cream mixture, spreading them evenly then push them down into the the ice cream with a fork or flat edged spoon.
- Cover your container and place in the freezer for 2-3 hours, or until it gets to the hardness you prefer.
Get all your organic ingredients delivered straight to your door at up to 25 - 50% off retail by cutting out the middleman and retail markups with a Thrive Market Membership and save 15% off on your first order.
The recipe and photographs for "Gluten-Free Vegan Chocolate Avocado Ice Cream with Almond Butter Swirl" by Karielyn Tillman of The Healthy Family and Home website are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution Non-Commercial No Derivatives 4.0 International License and cannot be used without my written permission.
Recipe Roundups: Food Bloggers are always welcome to use a photo and a link back to my original post to share on recipe roundups without requesting permission.
Affiliate Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links. This means that if you were to make a purchase through one of these links, "The Healthy Family and Home" website would receive a small commission at no additional cost to you.
Amazon Disclosure: "The Healthy Family and Home" website is a participant in the Amazon Services, LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.
Thank you for your support of this website!
Hi, I'm Karielyn! I'm the published cookbook author of CLEAN DESSERTS and content creator of The Healthy Family and Home website since 2012. I specialize in creating easy, healthy plant-based recipes that are gluten-free + vegan (with a heavy focus on Medical Medium® compliant) and made with clean, real food ingredients that you can feel good about eating.