Even though this recipe is called Vegan Cacao Almond Baked Breakfast Squares, it looks like the kind of breakfast you would feel guilty about eating.
Surely something that looks like a brownie couldn't be healthy and nutritious for breakfast?
But yes they are!
They have a really unique texture. Not really a coarse cake-like texture like cake or brownies but more like a soft, mousse-type texture.
It's a good way to use leftover quinoa (maybe from dinner the night before) and the recipe only needs 1 cup to make it.
They are a nice change from the typical breakfast entrees...pancakes, muffins, waffles and cereal but are super healthy and full of protein.
But, even though they are called breakfast squares, you could certainly make these whenever a healthy snack is in order.
And another surprise...they are vegan, flourless and gluten-free too!
Want more healthy breakfast recipes? Check out Raspberry Acai Smoothie Bowl, Chocolate Peanut Butter Protein Smoothie, Raspberry Kiwi Smoothie or my Clean Eating eCookbook with over 140+ healthy, clean eating recipes just like this one that you will love!
Gluten-Free Vegan Chocolate Quinoa Breakfast Squares
For the mixture:
- 1 1/2 cups homemade almond milk
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- 1 cup organic Medjool dates (pitted)
- 1/2 cup organic hemp seeds
- 1/2 cup organic unsweetened applesauce
- 1/3 cup organic raw cacao powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Himalayan pink salt
For the add-in:
- 1 cup organic quinoa (cooked)
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Prepare an 8 x 8 baking dish lined with parchment paper and set aside.
Prepare the quinoa:
- Prepare (1) cup of quinoa according to package directions.
Prepare the mixture:
- Add all the ingredients for the mixture to a Vitamix and blend until well combined, but taking care to not over process.
- Add the cooked quinoa to the Vitamix and stir in by hand until well combined.
- Transfer the mixture to the prepared baking dish and sprinkle the optional topping evenly over the top of the mixture.
- Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for approximately 60 minutes, or until firmly set.
- Allow to cool for at least (1) hour, then carefully run a knife around the pan to loosen the edges.
- Cut into squares and serve.
- Store in an air-tight BPA-free container.
Hi, I'm Karielyn! I'm the published cookbook author of CLEAN DESSERTS and content creator of The Healthy Family and Home website since 2012. I specialize in creating easy, healthy plant-based recipes that are gluten-free + vegan and made with clean, real food ingredients that you can feel good about eating.