This Gluten-Free Vegan Italian Spaghetti Squash Pasta Bake is an easy and healthy recipe to make with only 9 clean ingredients. It's the perfect plant-based meal made with gluten-free vegetable pasta that the whole family will love!
Here's Why This Recipe Works
My top 3 favorite reasons:
- Excellent Gluten-Free Substitution For Traditional Pasta
- Can Be Meal-Prepped To Save Time
- Made With Clean Ingredients
Excellent Gluten-Free Substitution For Traditional Pasta
It's been a long, long time since I've had traditional pasta, which I ate a lot of when my diet consisted of high-carbohydrate and high-processed foods.
Since I now eat gluten-free, I honestly thought I'd never be able to eat pasta again, until now.
Therefore, I was so excited when I came across this recipe from Lexi's Clean Kitchen.
It transforms a regular spaghetti bake recipe into a gluten-free version and I made a few changes to it to make it 100% vegan.
Can Be Meal-Prepped To Save Time
The most time-consuming part of this recipe is baking the spaghetti squash, which takes about 45-50 minutes.
Although it's "inactive time", it's still time waiting to get dinner on the table.
Another alternative is to make the spaghetti squash in advance, or meal prep it.
The rest of the recipe can be assembled in about 5 minutes, then you only need about 20 minutes to warm it in the oven before serving.
Made With Clean Ingredients
This recipe is made with 9 clean ingredients, such as spaghetti squash, avocado oil, organic pasta sauce, baby spinach, ground flax seeds, garlic, nutritional yeast (omit to be Medical Medium® compliant), ground cayenne pepper, and Himalayan pink salt.
You can even garnish it with fresh chopped basil for an extra touch.
This healthy recipe is plant-based, vegan, gluten-free, dairy-free, soy-free, nut-free, egg-free, oil-free, paleo-friendly, and can be Medical Medium® compliant with substitutions.
Frequently Asked Questions
How Can I Make This Recipe Medical Medium® Compliant?
There are two simple substitutions to keep in mind if you need this recipe to be 100% Medical Mediuim® compliant:
- Nutritional Yeast - This ingredient is not a compliant ingredient and would need to be eliminated. You could replace it with gluten-free breadcrumbs as a substitute.
- Marinara Pasta Sauce - You will need to make sure the pasta sauce is in a BPA-free container, has a minimal ingredient list, and does not contain citric acid.
Other than that, all other ingredients in the recipe are Medical Medium® compliant!
Karielyn's Expert Tips + Ingredient Substitutions
Spaghetti Squash: The sizes of spaghetti squash vary, but if you get a medium-large size it should be enough for 4 servings. If you don't like or can't find spaghetti squash, you could substitute it with gluten-free, grain-free, or corn-free pasta.
Baby Spinach: While this gives the recipe extra nutritional value, it could be omitted if you prefer.
Marinara Pasta Sauce: As a time-saver, you can use a store-bought organic pasta sauce, but make sure it is in a BPA-free container, has a minimal ingredient list, and does not contain citric acid.
*Nutritional Yeast: This is added as a non-dairy replacement for Parmesan cheese. However, if you need the recipe to be 100% Medical Medium® compliant, it will need to be omitted.
Garlic: Freshly crushed garlic will give the best flavor and nutrients, but you could substitute it with organic garlic powder - just adjust the amount to your preference.
Cayenne Pepper: This could be substituted with organic red pepper flakes - just adjust the amount to your preference. If you don't like spicy foods or will be serving this to children, it can be omitted.
Himalayan Pink Salt: This is my salt of preference, however, it can always be substituted with sea salt.
Fresh Basil: This is used as a garnish on top and for extra flavor, but if you don't have any, it can be omitted.
Serving Size: This recipe will make approximately (6) cups. Nutritional information is for 1 1/2 cups which is (1) serving.
Want More Healthy Plant-Based Spaghetti Squash Recipes?
Check out these:
- Creamy Lemon Garlic Sauce Spaghetti Squash
- Basil and Creamy Cauliflower Alfredo Sauce Spaghetti Squash
- Vegan Creamy Cilantro and Lime Tahini Dressing Spaghetti Squash
- or my CLEAN EATING Cookbook with 75+ plant-based vegan + gluten-free recipes made with clean, real food ingredients just like this one that you will love!
Did You Make This Recipe?
I'd love to hear about it! Please give it a rating and leave a comment below...it would make my day! 🙂
Gluten-Free Vegan Italian Spaghetti Squash Pasta Bake
For the spaghetti squash:
- 1 organic spaghetti squash
For the flax egg:
- 1 tablespoon organic ground flax seeds
- 2 tablespoons water (filtered/purified) (filtered/purified)
For the add-ins:
- 3 cups organic baby spinach (diced in strips)
- 1 cup organic marinara pasta sauce (citric acid-free)
- 1/2 cup nutritional yeast* (omit to be 100% Medical Medium® compliant)
- 3 cloves organic garlic (freshly crushed)
- 1/2 teaspoon organic ground cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon Himalayan pink salt
For the garnish:
- organic fresh basil leaves (fresh, diced in strips)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Prepare a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper + an 8 x 8 baking dish, then set aside.
Prepare the spaghetti squash:
- Cut the spaghetti squash in half, then scrape out all the seeds from the inside.
- Sprinkle the inside and outer rims of the spaghetti squash with a pinch of Himalayan pink salt and organic ground black pepper.
- Place the spaghetti squash halves face down onto the prepared cookie sheet and bake at 350 degrees for approximately 45-50 minutes.
- When it's finished baking, use a fork to scrape the inside of the squash out to use as "pasta".
Prepare the flax egg:
- Add all ingredients for the flax egg to a small bowl, whisk together, then set aside.
- Combine cooked spaghetti squash and all the add-in ingredients to a medium-size mixing bowl.
- Re-whisk the flax egg and add it to the mixing bowl.
- Gently toss everything together until all ingredients are well combined.
- Transfer the mixture to the prepared 8 x 8 baking dish and bake at 375 degrees Fahrenheit for about 10-15 minutes, or until it is warmed all the way through.
- Change oven setting to broil and bake for another 5 minutes, or until the top becomes crispy.
- Garnish with fresh chopped basil and serve hot from the oven.
Hi, I'm Karielyn! I'm the published cookbook author of CLEAN DESSERTS and content creator of The Healthy Family and Home website since 2012. I specialize in creating easy, healthy plant-based recipes that are gluten-free + vegan (with a heavy focus on Medical Medium® compliant) and made with clean, real food ingredients that you can feel good about eating.