This Vegan Homemade Peanut Butter Granola is a favorite for breakfast time in my house…my boys love it!
In fact, when I make it, they politely ask me “please don’t cook it” as they each get a spoon and proceeded to eat it right out of the mixing bowl.
And I don’t blame them…it really is that good!
The reason they requested the peanut butter granola is they have eaten the Nature’s Path Organic Peanut Butter Granola in the past but it’s rather pricey at $4.79 for a small 11.5 ounce box.
You can buy a much cheaper box of granola, but the lower cost isn’t worth it if you look at the ingredient list, as in this box of Kellogg’s Low-Fat Granola:
Ingredients: WHOLE GRAIN ROLLED OATS, WHOLE GRAIN WHEAT, SUGAR, RICE, CORN SYRUP, ALMONDS, CONTAINS 2% OR LESS OF MOLASSES, MODIFIED CORN STARCH, PALM OIL, SALT, CINNAMON, NONFAT MILK, MALT FLAVORING, POLYGLYCEROL ESTERS OF FATTY ACIDS, NATURAL AND ARTIFICIAL FLAVOR, GUAR GUM, BHT FOR FRESHNESS.
- Corn Syrup, Modified Corn Starch – corn is a well known and documented GMO ingredients. Unless it is labeled “organic” or is labeled “non-GMO Project Verified”, we can only assume it’s made from GMO corn
- Almonds – if they aren’t organic, they could contain up to 9 pesticide residues, 3 neurotoxins, 4 honeybee toxins, 1 known/probable carcinogen and 4 suspected hormone disruptors (source)
- Salt – processed, toxic iodized salt
- Sugar – refined, processed, bleached sugar
- BHT – (aka Butylated Hydroxytoluene) is a synthetic preservative
- Natural and Artificial Flavor – a sneaky way to include something in their product without having to fully disclose what it is
- Nonfat Milk – unless it is organic or comes from a small family farm, you don’t know what the cow has been fed (GMO-grains) or if it has been given antibiotics, hormones, etc.
Since that is definitely not an option and I didn’t want to pay for the small organic box, I looked for an easy recipe with wholesome ingredients and was happy with the one I found.
It’s really easy to make, has a short ingredient list and is vegan and gluten-free too if you use gluten-free oats.
Serve it with homemade coconut milk or homemade almond milk and you have a 100% homemade breakfast your family will love!
5 Fast Facts About Oats:
- provides significant fiber
- helps control blood sugar levels
- can reduce hypertension and high blood pressure
- increases appetite-control hormones
- lowers bad cholesterol
5 Fast Facts About Maple Syrup:
- contains manganese and zinc
- high levels of anti-oxidants
- helps with inflammation
- 1/4 cup contains more calcium than the same amount of milk
- 1/4 cup contains more potassium than a banana
5 Fast Facts About Peanuts (Peanut Butter):
- excellent source of vitamin E
- high in folate
- contains tryptophan helps fight depression
- good source of fiber
- excellent source of protein
5 Fast Facts About Coconut Oil:
- super high in lauric acid
- rich in antioxidants
- contains natural microbial and antibacterial agents
- improves metabolism and prevents fatigue
- can help to improve cholesterol
5 Fast Facts About Pink Himalayan Salt:
- contains 84 minerals
- unrefined, unprocessed, raw
- promotes stable pH balance in cells
- controls water levels in the body
- aids digestion and facilitates better nutrient absorption
Where to Buy: If you have trouble finding any of the ingredients to make this recipe, you can order online from Amazon and have them delivered straight to your door:
Tip #1: If you are going to make a big batch of granola, it’s best to buy it in bulk. I buy mine from the bulk bins at Whole Foods, but if you don’t have one close by you, you can get some in bulk from the Amazon link above.