If you are looking for a variety from the basic kale chip recipe, these Raw Vegan Sour Cream and Onion Kale Chips are a nice alternative.
I think one of my most favorite snacks has to be homemade kale chips made in my dehydrator.
The very first ones I made were Cheezy Raw Kale Chips and these are now running a close race for first place.
It kind of happened by accident though.
They are actually a combination of my favorite raw dressing that I combine with plain kale to make a salad – which I literally eat every day and usually add some chia seeds, sunflower seeds, hemp seeds or sesame seeds on top.
Then one day I thought…this would be really good as a kale chip!
So I’ve taken my favorite salad…kale and Raw Creamy Jalapeno Dressing (minus the jalapeno and cilantro) and made it in the form of a chip!
They are so easy to make and the hardest part is just waiting for them to be finished!
But if you are ever tempted to eat the GMO-filled traditional chips, just remember the ingredients found in a bag of Lay’s Sour Cream and Onion Potato Chips:
POTATOES, VEGETABLE OIL (SUNFLOWER, CORN AND/OR CANOLA OIL), SOUR CREAM AND ONION SEASONING (SKIM MILK, SALT, SOUR CREAM [CULTURED CREAM AND SKIM MILK], ONION POWDER, WHEY, WHEY PROTEIN CONCENTRATE, CANOLA OIL, NATURAL FLAVOR, PARSLEY, GUM ARABIC, MALTODEXTRIN [MADE FROM CORN], SUNFLOWER OIL, CITRIC ACID AND BUTTERMILK). (source)
- Corn and Canola Oil – well known and documented GMO ingredients. Unless it is labeled “organic” or is labeled “Non-GMO Project Verified”, we can only assume it’s made from GMO products.
- Maltodextrin – a food additive that could be sourced from corn, which is a well known and documented GMO ingredient. Unless it is labeled “organic” or is labeled “Non-GMO Project Verified”, we can only assume it’s made from GMO corn.
- Salt – processed, toxic iodized salt
- Skim Milk/Cultured Cream/Buttermilk/Whey - if it’s not organic or the milk you are consuming in a food product is not coming from a local, family farm, it’s highly likely the milk is coming from factory-farmed cows that have been given antibiotics, hormones, fed GMO grains, etc.
- Natural Flavor – a sneaky way to disguise ingredients they don’t want you to know about
5 Fast Facts About Kale:
- high in iron
- excellent for detoxification
- contains powerful antioxidants
- high in calcium
- anti-inflammatory benefits
5 Fast Facts About Cashews:
- excellent source of calcium, magnesium and copper
- packed with dietary fiber
- rich in heart-healthy monosaturated fats
- rich source of minerals
5 Fast Facts About Macadamia Nuts:
- super high in heart-healthy monosaturated fats
- high in protein and all the essential amino acids
- high in fiber
- brain booster
5 Fast Facts About Onions:
- rich source of healthy sulphur compounds
- excellent for cardiovascular health
- inhibits bone loss in women
- reduces blood pressure
- lowers blood cholesterol levels
5 Fast Facts About Lemons:
- extremely alkaline
- blood purifier
- excellent for detoxification
- balances blood sugar levels
- contains powerful antibacterial properties
5 Fast Facts About Pink Himalayan Salt:
- contains 84 minerals
- unrefined, unprocessed, raw
- promotes stable pH balance in cells
- controls water levels in the body
- aids digestion and facilitates better nutrient absorption
Tip #1: You will need to make sure that you use a Vitamix for this recipe, and not a food processor like I made the mistake of doing the first time I made it. Why? I guess because of the amount of liquid in the recipe, it all came out of the top and sides of the food processor and made a big mess. Once you throw all the ingredients in the Vitamix, it’s ready in a matter of minutes, without the mess.
Tip #2: The dressing recipe is enough to use with two bunches of kale which filled up 3 dehydrator trays (which is one serving size in my book!)
Tip #3: Although I have never tried this, I’ve seen kale chip recipes where you can make them in the oven. I would set it at the very lowest temperature and that might work. If not, you can always make the sauce and eat it over plain kale as a salad with your favorite toppings.