I came across this healthy recipe for Vegan Black Bean Soup a couple of days ago and was sure I would be trying it out for several reasons.
First, it was super easy to make. Second, I had just bought 2 cans of black beans this past weekend and already had all the other ingredients. And third, it is full of healthy ingredients!
You would be hard pressed to find an easier homemade soup recipe, too!
The original recipe is called “Panera Black Bean Soup” based on a soup from the Panera restaurant, but I have never eaten there so I’ve never tasted their version of this soup.
However, I was drawn to the recipe though because of it’s simplicity, the ingredient list, as well as it’s smooth texture which is more like a puree.
It was the perfect meal to make today because it is cold, rainy and dreary outside.
Although I didn’t change any of the ingredients from the original recipe (except for the butter/coconut oil used to saute’ the vegetables), I did prepare it the “lazy” way.
I skipped the part to saute’ the vegetables and just put everything in my Vitamix, turned it on for less than two minutes and voila….lunch was ready!
I’m not kidding…it was that easy.
I didn’t drain or rinse the beans so I think that gave it a deeper color and more flavor. Also, when I make it again, I think I will add about a tablespoon of coconut oil to add some healthy fat to it.
If you wanted to add a little something, you could make my yummy Vegan Cornbread to go with it, which is what I did when I had some more the next day – it makes a lot!
One more tiny little thing I did different. I didn’t take the time to warm mine up but just poured it straight into a bowl, added some Daiya vegan cheese and ate away.
Just imagine how much better it tastes warmed up!
5 Fast Facts About Black Beans:
- extremely high in fiber
- loaded with anti-oxidants
- one cup contains 15 grams of vegan protein
- contains 20% dv of iron
- regulates blood glucose absorption
5 Fast Facts About Onions:
- rich source of healthy sulfur compounds
- excellent for cardiovascular health
- inhibits bone loss in women
- can help reduce blood pressure
- lowers blood cholesterol levels
5 Fast Facts About Garlic:
- regulates blood sugar levels
- lowers high blood pressure
- contains anti-bacterial and analgesic properties
- contains anti-viral properties
- lowers cholesterol levels
5 Fast Facts About Celery:
- improves immune system
- reduces blood pressure
- very alkalizing food
- contains anti-inflammatory properties
- lowers cholesterol
5 Fast Facts About Carrots:
- improves eyesight
- helps prevent heart disease
- rich in anti-oxidants
- helps flush toxins from the body
- 1 cup contains 407.06% dv of vitamin A
5 Fast Facts About Red Bell Peppers:
- high in antioxidants
- 1 cup contains 194.6 dv of vitamin C
- excellent source of carotenoids
- potential anti-cancer benefits
- helps reduce inflammation
5 Fast Facts About Lemon Juice:
- extremely alkaline
- blood purifier
- excellent for detoxification
- balances blood sugar levels
- contains powerful anti-bacterial properties
5 Fast Facts About Pink Himalayan Salt:
- contains 84 minerals
- unrefined, unprocessed, raw
- promotes stable pH balance in cells
- controls water levels in the body
- aids digestion and facilitates better nutrient absorption