I came across this healthy recipe for Vegan Black Bean Soup a couple of days ago and was sure I would be trying it out for several reasons.
First, it was super easy to make (for example, no cooking involved!) and second, it is made with fresh, healthy ingredients.
I was drawn to the recipe because of it’s simplicity, the ingredient list, as well as it’s smooth texture which is more like a puree.
It’s also budget-friendly and nutritious with 1/2 cup of black beans containing 28% dv of fiber and 7 grams of vegan protein.
I skipped the part to saute’ the vegetables and just put everything in my Vitamix, and in less than five minutes, it was ready.
Here’s the ingredient list in a can of highly-processed store-bought black bean soup:
S.A.D. (Standard American Diet) Campbell’s Black Bean Soup
Ingredients: Water, Beans Black Cooked, Sugar, Carrots, Tomatoes Puree (Water, Tomato Paste), Celery, Vegetables Oil (Corn, Canola, Cottonseed Oil Partially Hydrogenated or Soybeans Oil Partially Hydrogenated), Monosodium Glutamate, Vinegar Distilled, Yeast Extract, Spices Extract, Oleoresin Paprika (source)
FoodFacts.com Rating: “F”
It’s nothing but a can full of GMO’s (soybean oil, sugar, canola oil, vinegar), refined sugar and salt and harmful MSG (monosodium glutamate).
This healthier version is made with real food ingredients and is “almost raw”, vegan, gluten-free, dairy-free and no-cook!
Want more healthy meal and entree recipes? Check out Creamy Vegan Vegetable Minestrone Soup, Cream Vegan Tomato Basil Soup, Spicy Chickpea and Tomato Soup, or my Clean Eating Cookbook with an entire chapter of over 20 healthy, clean eating meal and entree recipes just like this one that you will love!
5 Fast Facts About Black Beans:*
- extremely high in fiber
- loaded with anti-oxidants
- one cup contains 15 grams of vegan protein
- contains 20% dv of iron
- regulates blood glucose absorption
5 Fast Facts About Onions:*
- rich source of healthy sulfur compounds
- excellent for cardiovascular health
- inhibits bone loss in women
- can help reduce blood pressure
- lowers blood cholesterol levels
5 Fast Facts About Garlic:*
- regulates blood sugar levels
- lowers high blood pressure
- contains anti-bacterial and analgesic properties
- contains anti-viral properties
- lowers cholesterol levels
5 Fast Facts About Celery:*
- improves immune system
- reduces blood pressure
- very alkalizing food
- contains anti-inflammatory properties
- lowers cholesterol
5 Fast Facts About Carrots:*
- improves eyesight
- helps prevent heart disease
- rich in anti-oxidants
- helps flush toxins from the body
- 1 cup contains 407.06% dv of vitamin A
5 Fast Facts About Red Bell Peppers:*
- high in antioxidants
- 1 cup contains 194.6 dv of vitamin C
- excellent source of carotenoids
- potential anti-cancer benefits
- helps reduce inflammation
5 Fast Facts About Lemons:*
- extremely alkaline to the body
- blood purifier
- excellent for detoxification
- balances blood sugar levels
- contains powerful anti-bacterial properties
5 Fast Facts About Himalayan Pink Salt:*
- contains 84 minerals
- unrefined, unprocessed, raw
- promotes stable pH balance in cells
- controls water levels in the body
- aids digestion and facilitates better nutrient absorption
*These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This information is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.
Tip #1: I used (2) cans of organic black beans (with no added salt) and didn’t drain or rinse the beans as the original recipe instructed, which I think gave it a prettier color and more flavor.
Tip #2: Add a tablespoon of organic coconut oil to add some healthy fat!
Tip #3: Because I was trying to keep the veggies as raw as possible, I didn’t warm mine up. You can always put your Vitamix on the high or soup setting and warm it slightly that way or just warm it on the stove if you wanted to enjoy it hot.
Affiliate Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links. This means that if you were to make a purchase through one of these links, “The Healthy Family and Home” website would receive a small commission.