This is a really easy vegan cheese sauce to make in your Vitamix and is perfect over veggies or even to use as a dip.
I’ve made this recipe several times and have used it on top of steamed broccoli, as a dressing for a kale salad, and of course, as a nacho chip-type dip.
I guess this recipe would be considered the vegan version of the highly processed Velvetta cheese.
Here is the ingredient list for original Velvetta:
MILK, WATER, MILK FAT, WHEY, WHEY PROTEIN CONCENTRATE, SODIUM PHOSPHATE, MILK PROTEIN CONCENTRATE, ALGINATE, SODIUM CITRATE, APO-CAROTENAL COLOR, ANNATTO COLOR, ENZYME(S), CHEES CULTURE (source)
Basically, it’s nothing but milk products from an abused factory-farmed cow that is full of antibiotics and hormones and very likely fed GMO grains and corn.
I think we are safe to say this is a much healthier version!
Not to mention that Kraft, the makers of Velvetta, contributed $34,404 to oppose GMO labeling and your right to know what is in your food. Not good.
5 Fast Facts About Cashews:
- packed with dietary fiber
- rich in heart friendly monosaturated fatty acids
- rich source of minerals
- high in magnesium and copper
- high in antioxidants
5 Fast Facts About Tahini (Sesame Seeds):
- high source of calcium
- excellent antioxidant
- helps lower cholesterol
- helps reduce inflammation
- high in phytosterol
5 Fast Facts About Lemons:
- extremely alkaline
- blood purifier
- excellent for detoxification
- balances blood sugar levels
- contains powerful anti-bacterial properties
5 Fast Facts About Apple Cider Vinegar:
- anti-viral, anti-bacterial, anti-fungal
- maintains proper pH balance in the body
- helps regulate blood pressure
- reduces bad cholesterol
- loaded with potassium
5 Fast Facts About Pink Himalayan Salt:
- contains 84 minerals
- unrefined, unprocessed, raw
- promotes stable pH balance in the body
- controls water levels in the body
- aids digestion and facilitates better nutrient absorption
5 Fast Facts About Almonds:
- excellent source of heart friendly fats
- helps lower blood pressure
- rich in antioxidants
- helps control blood sugar levels
- high in magnesium, potassium, iron, zinc and copper
5 Fast Facts About Nutritional Yeast:
- vegan source of vitamin b12
- contains 18 amino acids and is a complete protein
- boosts immune system
- excellent antioxidant
- contains 15 minerals
Where to Buy: If you have trouble finding any of the ingredients to make this recipe, you can order online from Amazon and have them delivered straight to your door:
Note #1: I increased the amount of cashews from 1/2 cup to 1 cup because I wanted mine to have a thicker texture. I also substituted the arrowroot for non-GMO cornstarch and it worked fine. And lastly, since I L.O.V.E. nutritional yeast, I increased it from 1 1/2 – 2 tbs optional to 4 tablespoons and it had an extra cheesy flavor that I prefer.
Note #2: The original recipe gives directions to heat over low/low-medium heat for 5 – 8 minutes if you want a warm, thicker dip, which I did not do.
Note #3: The tumeric is optional but just a dash or so will add a yellow/orange color to it that will make it look like real cheese.