My healthy Lectin-Free Vegan Spicy Turmeric Oven-Baked Sweet Potato Fries is an easy recipe to make with only 7 clean, real food ingredients and is ready to enjoy in about 30 minutes. They're a plant-based snack or side dish with a twist from plain sweet potato fries that everyone will love!
This lectin-free sweet potato recipe is the perfect alternative to boring sweet potatoes.
Spicy Oven-Baked Sweet Potato Fries
If you're looking for a new twist on sweet potato fries, then you'll love my new spicy plant-based version.
I made these sweet potato fries unique by adding turmeric and spicing them up with cayenne + black pepper.
They're nice and crispy and pair well with my cool and tangy Lemon Dill Avocado Dressing.
And, you'll love that they're oven-baked and made with only 7 clean, real food ingredients!
This healthy sweet potato recipe is plant-based, vegan, gluten-free, dairy-free, soy-free, egg-free, nut-free, oven-baked, lectin-free* (see note below), paleo-friendly and Medical Medium compliant (with substitutions).
How To Make Spicy Oven-Baked Sweet Potato Fries: Step-by-Step Instructions
This is an easy plant-based snack recipe that takes less than 10 minutes to prepare and I'll show you how with step-by-step instructions below.
Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Prepare a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper and set aside.
Step 1: Prepare the Sweet Potato
First, peel the sweet potato and then cut the ends off.
Cut the sweet potato in half from the top to bottom so the fries will be the perfect length.
Next, cut the sweet potato into long, thin "french fry" pieces.
If you use a large sweet potato, you should get about 50-60 fries.
Transfer the cut sweet potato fries to a large mixing bowl.
Step 2: Add the Avocado Oil
Second, add the avocado oil and toss the sweet potato fries until they are evenly coated.
Step 3: Add the Seasonings
Third, add the seasonings to the sweet potato fries, but add one seasoning at a time, and add the nutritional yeast last.
Toss the sweet potatoes after adding each seasoning to make sure the seasoning is evenly distributed.
Step 4: Bake the Sweet Potato Fries
Lastly, transfer the seasoned sweet potato fries to the prepared cookie sheet and bake at 425 degrees for approximately 15-20 minutes.
Remove the cookie sheet from the oven, toss the fries and return to the oven to bake for an additional 5-10 minutes more.
Keep a close eye on them so they don't burn.
Expert Tips + Ingredient Substitutions for Spicy Oven-Baked Sweet Potato Fries
Seasonings. The secret to making these oven-baked fries crispy is in the order of adding the seasonings.
- Toss the sweet potato fries in avocado oil
- Add each seasoning one at a time and toss in between
- After that, add the nutritional yeast last
And don't forget, you can always adjust the amount of seasonings to your preference!
Cayenne Pepper. There seems to be confusion as to whether cayenne pepper is a lectin-free approved ingredient. After carefully researching this, I found a source, directly from Dr. Gundry himself, stating "cayenne is fine". Please see the screenshot below*.
Nutritional Yeast. You will need to omit this ingredient if you need the recipe to be 100% Medical Medium compliant.
Avocado Oil. I always use avocado oil whenever I bake something in the oven at high heat. However, you can substitute this with organic extra-virgin olive oil.
Himalayan Pink Salt. This is my salt of preference, but you can always substitute with sea salt.
*Note: I'm adding a screenshot from Dr. Gundry’s Twitter page where he gives cayenne pepper the “ok” as a lectin-approved ingredient, which is why I included it in my recipe and classified the recipe as “Lectin-Free”. However, a person who needs to avoid nightshades in general, for reasons other than lectin-related, would need to just omit the cayenne pepper from the recipe.
Want More Healthy Plant-Based Vegan + Gluten-Free Snack Recipes?
Check out these:
- Oven-Baked Zucchini Fries
- Gluten-Free Vegan Oven-Baked Fried Pickles
- Vegan Oven-Baked Avocado Fries
- or my CLEAN EATING Cookbook with 75+ plant-based vegan + gluten-free recipes made with clean, real food ingredients just like this one that you will love!
Lectin-Free Vegan Spicy Turmeric Oven-Baked Sweet Potato Fries
- 1 large organic sweet potato
- 1 tablespoon 100% pure avocado oil
For the seasoning:
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast*
- 1/2 teaspoon organic turmeric powder
- 1/2 teaspoon organic cayenne pepper**
- 1/2 teaspoon organic ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon Himalayan pink salt
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Prepare a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper and set aside.
Prepare the sweet potato:
- Peel the skin off the sweet potato. Cut the ends off then slice it down the middle from top to bottom.
- Cut the potato into long "french fry" pieces. You should have approximately 50-60 from a large sweet potato.
- Add the cut sweet potato pieces to a large mixing bowl.
- Add the avocado oil and toss the sweet potatoes until the avocado oil is evenly distributed and all pieces are covered.
- Add each of the ingredients for the seasoning to the bowl of cut sweet potatoes one at a time (add the nutritional yeast last) and toss each time making sure the seasonings are evenly distributed and all pieces are covered before adding the next seasoning.
- Adjust the amount of seasonings to your preference.
- Place the seasoned sweet potato pieces onto the prepared cookie sheet and bake at 425 degrees for approximately 15-20 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the oven, flip over all the fries and return the pan to the oven for approximately 5-10 more minutes. Oven times will vary, but you want them to be slightly crisp and take care not to burn them.
- Best served hot from the oven.
Hi, I'm Karielyn! I'm the published cookbook author of CLEAN DESSERTS and content creator of The Healthy Family and Home website since 2012. I specialize in creating easy, healthy plant-based recipes that are gluten-free + vegan and made with clean, real food ingredients that you can feel good about eating.