This Spicy Italian Cucuzza Squash Bake is another family recipe that’s perfect for a Meatless Monday meal and can be ready in about 30 minutes.
The last cucuzza recipe I made, Italian Cucuzza Squash Stew, was a recipe my father had shared with me that’s also easy to make and really good too.
Because of the size and quantity of the cucuzzas that come from their backyard garden, you have to really be creative or you will be eating the same dish a week at a time.
Besides these two recipes, I’ve also made cucuzza chips in the dehydrator and a chunky style cucuzza salsa.
And don’t worry if you can’t find cucuzza…it’s is a member of the squash family, so you could also use yellow squash or even zucchini as a substitute.
Want more healthy meal and entree recipes? Check out Vegan Stuffed Pepper Soup, Spicy Turmeric Twice Baked Potatoes, Spaghetti Squash with Creamy Lemon Garlic Sauce or my Clean Eating Cookbook with an entire chapter of healthy, clean eating meal and entree recipes you will love!
5 Fast Facts About Squash:*
- excellent source of vitamin C, magnesium and vitamin A
- full of antioxidants
- high fiber content
- contains 135 mg of beta-carotene
- contains 2,400 mg of lutein for eye health
5 Fast Facts About Tomatoes:*
- contains lycopenes which are cancer fighting agents
- high in beta-carotene
- excellent anti-oxidant
- high in vitamin A and K
- high in chromium which helps control blood sugar levels
5 Fast Facts About Onions:*
- rich source of sulfur compounds
- excellent for cardiovascular health
- inhibits bone loss in women
- reduced blood pressure
- lowers blood cholesterol levels
5 Fast Facts About Extra-Virgin Olive Oil:*
- lowers blood cholesterol levels
- rich in anti-oxidants
- improves bone mineralization and calcification
- excellent protection from heart attack and stroke
- contains anti-inflammatory benefits
5 Fast Facts About Garlic:*
- regulates blood sugar levels
- lowers high blood pressure
- contains anti-bacterial and analgesic properties
- helps to lower cholesterol levels
*These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This information is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.
Spicy Italian Cucuzza Squash Bake
Yield 4 servings
Vegetarian / Gluten-Free
- 4 cups cucuzza squash (peeled and cubed)
- 1 cup organic onions (diced)
- 1 cup organic tomatoes (diced)
- 1 tablespoon organic extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 cloves organic garlic (freshly crushed)
- 1/2 organic jalapeno (diced)
- 1 pinch organic red pepper flakes
- 2 - 4 "Field Roast" Vegan Italian Sausage links
- 1 cup organic Italian blend shredded cheese
- 1 cup organic mozzarella shredded cheese
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Prepare the veggies and sausage: Peel and dice the squash, dice the onions, tomatoes, jalapeno and sausage. Set aside.
- In a skillet, add the cucuzza, olive oil, jalapeno, onions, garlic and red pepper flakes and saute on medium-low heat for approximately 10 minutes, or until the onions and cucuzza are soft.
- Remove from heat and transfer to an 8 x 8 baking dish.
- Add the vegan sausage, tomatoes and 1 cup of shredded Italian blend cheese and stir until everything is well combined.
- Sprinkle the mozzarella shredded cheese on top.
- Bake at 350 degrees for approximately 15-20 minutes, or until the cheese on top is melted and golden.
- Optional: Garnish with fresh chopped parsley.
Get all your organic ingredients delivered straight to your door at up to 25 - 50% off retail by cutting out the middleman and retail markups with a Thrive Market Membership and save 15% off on your first order.
The recipe and photographs for "Spicy Italian Cucuzza Squash Bake" by Karielyn Tillman of The Healthy Family and Home website are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution Non-Commercial No Derivatives 4.0 International License and cannot be used without my written permission.
Recipe Roundups: Food Bloggers are always welcome to use a photo and a link back to my original post to share on recipe roundups without requesting permission.
Affiliate Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links. This means that if you were to make a purchase through one of these links, “The Healthy Family and Home” website would receive a small commission at no additional cost to you.
Amazon Disclosure: “The Healthy Family and Home” website is a participant in the Amazon Services, LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.
Thank you for your support of this website!