This Vegetable Rigatoni with Creamy Cauliflower Sauce started out as an experiment for a vegan macaroni and “cheese” dish for my boys, but ended up so much better than I had expected.
It’s not a plain cauliflower sauce but a creamy cauliflower sauce with a “cheesy” flavor.
I used this recipe for a basic cauliflower sauce as inspiration to start with, then added extra nutritional yeast to give it the “cheesy” flavor, a little tumeric and some cashews and zucchini.
And it can be made in a matter of minutes with a Vitamix.
At the last minute, I decided to add the peas and carrots for color and extra veggies and guess what?
They loved it! And asked for seconds.
So I would say this is a good vegan recipe to get some extra veggies (cauliflower, peas, carrots and zucchini) on your kids plate!
5 Fast Facts About Cauliflower:
- 1 cup contains 9.1% DV of potassium
- 1 cup contains 85.9% of vitamin C
- 1 cup contains 8.5% DV of fiber
- excellent anti-oxidant
- contains anti-inflammatory benefits
5 Fast Facts About Almonds (Almond Milk):
- helps to regulate cholesterol and blood pressure
- energy booster
- loaded with calcium and fiber
- 1/4 cup contains 8 grams of vegan protein
- high in anti-oxidants
5 Fast Facts About Nutritional Yeast:
- vegan source of vitamin B12
- contains 18 amino acids and is a complete protein
- boosts immune system
- excellent anti-oxidant
- contains 15 minerals
5 Fast Facts About Zucchini:
- low calorie food – 94% water
- high in manganese
- helps lower blood pressure
- helps lower cholesterol
5 Fast Facts About Cashews:
- packed with dietary fiber
- rich in “heart friendly” mono-saturated fatty acids
- rich source of minerals
- high in magnesium and copper
- excellent source of antioxidants
5 Fast Facts About Garlic:
- regulates blood sugar levels
- lowers high blood pressure
- contains anti-bacterial and analgesic properties
- helps to lower cholesterol levels
5 Fast Facts About Carrots:
- improves eyesight
- helps to prevent heart disease
- rich in antioxidants
- helps flush toxins from the body
- 1 cup contains 407.6% RDA of vitamin A
5 Fast Facts About Peas:
- contains high levels of anti-oxidants
- 1 cup provides 7 g of fiber
- contains 20% RDA of riboflavin
- 1 cup provides 8.5 g of protein
- provides anti-inflammatory benefits
Tip #1: I’ve used a 1 lb bag of frozen organic cauliflower and a frozen organic peas and carrot mixture to save time.
Tip #2: I’ve used organic broccoli (also frozen) instead of the peas and carrot mixture for variety.
Tip #3: I used rigatoni but you can use a gluten-free rigatoni or your favorite pasta instead.