In this healthy plant-based recipe, I’ll show you How To Make Raw Chocolate Sauce using only 3 clean, real food ingredients and is ready in less than 5 minutes to enjoy on top of vegan desserts like ice cream granola bars, cheesecakes, energy balls and more!
Raw Chocolate Sauce
Chocolate sauce is the perfect addition to so many vegan desserts, but store-bought chocolate syrup can contain a long list of unhealthy ingredients like these:
S.A.D. (Standard American Diet) Hershey’s Chocolate Syrup Ingredients: High Fructose Corn Syrup, Corn Syrup, Water, Cocoa, Sugar, Contains 2% or Less of Potassium Sorbate (Preservative), Salt, Mono- and Diglycerides, Xanthan Gum, Polysorbate 60, Vanillin, Artificial Flavor.
You don’t have to settle for a highly processed chocolate syrup made with GMO ingredients, preservatives, and artificial flavors when you can make homemade chocolate syrup.
My easy recipe needs only 3 ingredients and 5 minutes of your time.
And, this healthy raw chocolate sauce is plant-based, raw, vegan, gluten-free, dairy-free, soy-free, nut-free, paleo-friendly, lectin-free, keto-friendly (with sweetener substitutions), and Medical Medium compliant.
What Can I Use This Raw Chocolate Sauce For?
This is my go-to vegan chocolate sauce recipe and I use it for so many desserts.
Some of my favorite ways to use it are:
- Gluten-Free Vegan No-Bake Pumpkin Pie
- Gluten-Free Vegan Raw Hemp Seed Bars with Cacao Drizzle
- Gluten-Free Vegan Cacao Drizzle Holiday Popcorn
- Gluten-Free Vegan No-Bake Pecan Pie Bars
- Gluten-Free Vegan Banana Split Mousse
It’s easy to make in advance and stores well either in your pantry or in the refrigerator so you’ll always have some ready at a moments notice!
How To Make The BEST Raw Vegan Chocolate Sauce | Step-By-Step Instructions
This will be one of the easiest vegan chocolate drizzle recipes you will ever make and I’ll show you how below:
Step 1: Gather the Ingredients + Melt the Coconut Oil:
After you gather the ingredients, you’ll need to melt the coconut oil before making the recipe.
The coconut oil should be “liquid” or “melted” and have the appearance and consistency of water.
I melt my coconut oil either in a small saucepan on the stovetop on lowest heat or place it in a bowl inside another bowl of hot water.
Step 2: Mix the Ingredients Together:
Next, you will add the three ingredients together and stir until it’s well combined.
It should have a smooth consistency and a shiny appearance.
Step 4: Store the Chocolate Sauce:
You can make the chocolate sauce in advance and store it so it will be ready at a moment’s notice, or store any leftovers.
Store it in an air-free BPA-free container (I like to use a small glass mason jar) in either the pantry, cabinet or refrigerator.
If you store it in the refrigerator, you’ll need to let the coconut oil liquefy again before using. Just run the container under warm water and then stir before using.
Expert Tips + Ingredient Substitutions To Make Vegan Chocolate Sauce:
Coconut Oil. If you don’t care for the taste or smell of coconut oil, you can use organic unrefined coconut oil which has zero coconut taste or smell.
Maple Syrup. You can substitute with your favorite liquid sweetener.
Cacao. I only use organic raw cacao, but you can also use regular cocoa powder if you prefer.
Storage. If you aren’t familiar with using coconut oil, it’s helpful to understand how to handle it depending on its consistency.
- Liquid State: When coconut oil is heated over 75 degrees, it becomes a liquid. This would be ideal when using it as a “drizzle” or to dip a cookie or bar in.
- Solid State: When coconut oil is frozen (in the freezer) or chilled (in the refrigerator), it becomes a solid. This would be ideal when using it as a chocolate topping over energy balls or a layer on a no-bake dessert.
Want More Healthy Vegan “How To” Pantry Staple Recipes?
Check out these:
- How To Make Whipped Coconut Cream Topping
- How To Make Tahini
- How To Make Homemade Almond Milk
- or my CLEAN DESSERTS Cookbook with 72 plant-based vegan + gluten-free no-bake dessert recipes made with clean, real food ingredients just like this one that you will love!
How To Make Raw Vegan Chocolate Sauce
- 1/4 cup organic raw cacao powder
- 1/4 cup organic maple syrup
- 1/4 cup organic coconut oil melted/liquid
Prepare the coconut oil:
- Before beginning, the coconut oil will need to be melted/liquid.
- You can add it to a small saucepan and melt it on lowest heat or place the coconut oil in a small bowl placed in hot water to melt it. It should have the appearance and consistency of water.
Prepare the chocolate sauce:
- Add all ingredients for the chocolate sauce, including the melted coconut oil, to a small bowl and stir it together until it's creamy and smooth.
- Store it in an air-tight BPA-free container in a pantry or cabinet. If you store it in the refrigerator, it will harden but once you liquefy the coconut oil again, it will be ready to use. Just stir it until it's creamy and smooth again.
- Keto: Use a sugar-free liquid sweetener
- Lectin-Free: Use organic date nectar