I try to get as many nutrients in a snack in the most tasty way possible. One of my nutrition goals is to get a daily serving of raw maca powder and hemp oil, both of which I usually add to my morning smoothies.
Today, I didn’t feel like a smoothie but wanted something chocolate – go figure!
So by default, my brain goes straight to balls – my favorite bite-sized, portion controlled healthy snack.
These are not the typical “party holiday balls” or “rum balls” you’ve seen all over the internet and Pinterest during the month of December, but more of a “health ball”.
I managed to use a few of the same ingredients that I put in my smoothies to make a tasty ball of nutrition with a healthy dose of protein from the almonds – which helps curb my appetite and keeps me satisfied longer.
Just a 1/4 cup of almonds has 8 grams of raw, vegan protein and not only does this recipe have 1 cup of almonds, but 1/2 cup of almond butter and 1/4 cup of almond flour!
I also like these because they are not overly sweet at all.
One of the problems I run into when making balls is the liquid part which holds them together. I have used everything from raw honey, raw agave nectar and maple syrup.
But I don’t like mine very sweet, so I cut back and only added 1 tablespoon of sweetener. If you prefer them a little sweeter though, just add another tablespoon of the sweetener of your choice.
To compensate for the reduced sweetener, I replaced it with organic hemp seed oil to hold them together and it worked perfect!
5 Fast Facts About Almonds:
- 1/4 cup contains 8 grams of raw, vegan protein
- help regulate cholesterol and blood pressure
- energy booster
- high in antioxidants
- can reduce the risk of heart disease
5 Fast Facts About Maca Powder:
- increases stamina
- beneficial to the the circulatory system
- can regulate hormonal imbalances
- acts as an anti-carcinogen and anti-oxidant
- enhances memory, learning and mental ability
5 Fast Facts About Hemp Seed Oil:
- raw, organic, unrefined
- contains ideal omega-6 to omega-3 ratios
- contains super omega-3 which helps to metabolize fats
- 500 mg of omega-6 GLA per tablespoon
- 250 mg of omega-3 SDA per tablespoon
5 Fast Facts About Raw Cacao:
- contains over 300 compounds: including protein, calcium, magnesium, copper, zinc and iron
- super high in anti-oxidants
- contains 4 different neurotransmitters that acts as anti-depressants
- contains essential fats
- can help to decrease blood pressure
5 Fast Facts About Raw Honey:
- anti-bacterial and anti-fungal properties
- contains immune boosting anti-viral properties
- contains natural antioxidants that block free-radicals
- super high in b vitamins: B1, B2, B3, B5 and B6
- promotes restorative sleep
Where to Buy: If you have trouble finding any of the ingredients to make this recipe, you can order online from Amazon and have them delivered straight to your door: