This Banana Sushi with Sweet Tahini and Matcha Spread is an easy and healthy recipe made with only 7 clean, real food ingredients. It's the perfect plant-based dessert that's kid-friendly and can be prepared in under 10 minutes!
Here's Why This Recipe Works
My top 3 favorite reasons:
- It's A Healthy Raw No-Bake Dessert
- Can Be Prepared In Under 10 Minutes
- Made With Clean Real Food Ingredients
You can feel good about making my healthy, plant-based recipe because it's raw, vegan, gluten-free, dairy-free, soy-free, nut-free, no refined sugar, paleo-friendly, and Medical Medium compliant.
Karielyn's Expert Tips + Ingredient Substitutions
Here are some of my expert tips to make this recipe perfectly:
Banana: The best type of banana to use for this recipe is a firm banana, not a ripe soft one. In addition, since the size of bananas can vary, you may get more or less than 15 slices per banana.
Sweet Tahini and Matcha Spread: The ingredients listed will make a full batch, or 3/4 cup, but you will only need 1-2 tablespoons for this recipe. Store the extra in an air-tight BPA-free container (like a glass mason jar) to use for later.
Cacao Nibs + Sesame Seeds: These are optional topping ideas but you could use whatever you'd like as a topping. Some other suggestions are shredded coconut, hemp seeds, or even mini chocolate chips. To keep this recipe 100% Medical Medium compliant, omit the cacao nibs and use another topping.
Serving Tip: These are best right out of the freezer. If they are allowed to thaw, they will be soft and difficult to pick up and handle. In addition, they need to be stored in the freezer until ready to serve.
Serving Size: This recipe will make (1) banana sliced into sushi pieces. Nutritional information is for 1/2 banana or approximately 7 slices + (1) tablespoon of the Sweet Tahini and Matcha Spread which is (1) serving.
Frequently Asked Questions
Where Did Banana "Sushi" Come From?
Banana sushi is a fun recipe I came up with for my two young boys back in 2013.
My recipe, The ORIGINAL Banana Sushi with Hemp Seeds, was a big hit and I later created several more:
However, I like to think of this recipe as a "grown-up" version!
Can I Use Different Toppings?
Yes! Feel free to use your favorite toppings or whatever you have on hand. Some other ideas are shredded coconut, hemp seeds, or even mini chocolate chips.
How Can I Make This Recipe Medical Medium Compliant?
You can make this recipe 100% Medical Medium compliant by omitting the cacao nibs and substituting with another compliant topping such as shredded coconut or hemp seeds.
Want More Healthy Plant-Based Staple Recipes?
Check out these:
- Homemade Tahini
- Almond Butter
- How To Make Peanut Butter
- or my CLEAN EATING Cookbook with 75+ plant-based recipes made with clean, real food ingredients just like this one that you will love!
Did You Make This Recipe?
I'd love to hear about it! Please give it a rating and leave a comment below...it would make my day! 🙂
Banana Sushi with Sweet Tahini and Matcha Spread
- 1 organic banana (firm)
For the Sweet Tahini and Matcha Spread:
- 3/4 cup organic tahini
- 3 tablespoons organic maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons organic refined coconut oil (melted/liquid)
- 1 teaspoon organic matcha powder
For the topping:
- 1/2 - 1 tablespoon organic raw cacao nibs*
- 1/2 - 1 tablespoon organic sesame seeds
- Prepare a serving dish or dinner plate lined with parchment paper, then set aside.
Prepare the banana:
- Peel the banana (fresh and firm is best), place it on the prepared serving dish, then set aside.
Prepare the Sweet Tahini and Matcha Spread:
- Add all ingredients for the spread to a small mixing bowl and whisk together until everything is well combined and smooth.
- Drizzle the Sweet Tahini and Matcha Spread over the top of the banana, covering the top completely.
- Sprinkle with organic raw cacao nibs and sesame seeds (or your preferred toppings).
- Place the serving dish in the freezer for approximately 30 minutes, or until it is frozen.
- Remove from the freezer and cut into slices before serving.
- Best eaten when it's frozen, rather than thawed.
- Store in an air-tight BPA-free container in the freezer until ready to serve because the banana sliced will get soft if left out at room temperature.
Hi, I'm Karielyn! I'm the published cookbook author of CLEAN DESSERTS and content creator of The Healthy Family and Home™ website since 2012. I specialize in creating easy, healthy plant-based and Medical Medium® compliant recipes that are gluten-free + vegan and made with clean, real food ingredients that you can feel good about eating.