Today I have for you Banana Sushi with Sweet Tahini and Matcha Spread which is a quick and easy snack to make using healthy, clean ingredients.
It’s my contribution for The Recipe ReDux theme for March which is “Two for One”.
“We’re all about cooking once and eating twice. In short, double dinners are better. Show us how you take a favorite recipe already on your blog – and ReDux the leftovers into a new dish. Or, whip up a new healthy recipe and give suggestions on how to make it a second meal. For example, slow cooker pot roast could become shredded beef tacos; or grilled chicken breasts might morph into chicken salad.”
I had just happened to post my Sweet Tahini with Matcha Spread recipe earlier in the week and promised a couple of recipe ideas of what to use it with, so I thought this would be a perfect opportunity to share one of those with you.
You may remember my original Banana and Hemp Seed Sushi recipe I posted a while back that is still one my boy’s favorite snacks.
Well, this is more of a grown-up version!
It’s a frozen banana topped with my Sweet Tahini and Matcha Spread, then sprinkled with raw cacao nibs and sesame seeds.
It’s super easy to make, uses clean ingredients and it’s “almost” raw, vegan, gluten-free, dairy-free, paleo-friendly and contains no refined sugars!
5 Fast Facts About Bananas:*
- high levels of trytophan to help combat depression
- aids in weight loss
- strengthens the immune system
- high in fiber and potassium
- helps to lower blood pressure
5 Fast Facts About Tahini (Sesame Seeds):*
- high in calcium at 35% RDA
- excellent anti-oxidant
- lowers cholesterol
- reduces inflammation
- high in phytosterol
5 Fast Facts About Maple Syrup:*
- contains manganese and zinc
- super high in anti-oxidants
- helps with inflammation
- 1/4 cup contains more calcium than the same amount of milk
- 1/4 cup contains more potassium than a banana
5 Fast Facts About Matcha Green Tea Powder:*
- 137 times the antioxidants of brewed green tea
- can help to boost metabolism
- excellent source of anti-oxidants
- increase focus
- can help to improve skin health
5 Fast Facts About Coconut Oil:*
- super high in lauric acid
- rich in antioxidants
- contains natural microbial and anti-bacterial agents
- helps to improve metabolism
- improves cholesterol levels
5 Fast Facts About Raw Cacao Nibs:*
- excellent source of anti-oxidants
- contains one of the highest dietary sources of magnesium
- one ounce has 9 g of fiber
- one ounce contains 4 g of raw vegan protein
- one ounce contains 6% DV of iron
*These statements have not been evaluated by Food and Drug Administration. This information is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.
Tip #1: These are best when they are frozen, straight out of the freezer. If you let them thaw out, the banana will get mushy and will be hard to pick up. And, the Sweet Tahini and Matcha Spread will get soft, which isn’t a bad thing, but just trust me and eat them frozen 😉
Tip #2: I added raw cacao nibs and sesame seeds on top of mine, but feel free to add your favorite toppings.
Tip #3: Fresh bananas work best because they will be firmer and make it easier to decorate.
Tip #4: It’s easier to decorate the banana and freeze it in one solid piece and then cut it into slices before eating. I pre-cut mine and then froze them to take the photo, and they work this way too, but you could do it either way.
Hi, I’m Karielyn! I’m a cookbook author and creator of The Healthy Family and Home website. I specialize in creating easy, healthy plant-based recipes that are gluten-free + vegan and made with clean, real food ingredients that you can feel good about eating.