These Gluten-Free Vegan Oven-Baked Okra Bites are a fun little snack that is a healthy way to use summer okra other than in a stew.
Okra is a classic southern veggie, especially here in Louisiana. And if it’s not added to a gumbo, it’s made into “fried okra”, which is far from healthy. If you’ve ever had them before, you know they’re good, but not good for you.
Besides being fried in oil, they’re made with these typical ingredients which are neither vegan or gluten-free:
S.A.D. (Standard American Diet) Fried Okra Ingredients:
Typical Ingredients: White Flour, Buttermilk, Cornmeal, Eggs, Bacon Drippings, etc.
Since getting on the gluten-free “oven-baked” wagon several years ago, I’ve created several different healthier veggie snacks using my Gluten-Free Vegan Bread Crumbs recipe like these:
- Gluten-Free Vegan Oven-Baked Avocado Fries
- Healthy Oven-Baked Green Tomatoes
- Gluten-Free Vegan Oven-Baked Zucchini Fries
- Vegan Oven-Baked Zucchini Chips
- Gluten-Free Vegan Oven-Baked Onion Rings…in my Clean Eating Cookbook!
- Gluten-Free Vegan Oven-Baked Jalapeno Slices…coming soon!
Not only are they healthier because they are oven-baked instead of being fried, but the coating is gluten-free.
And, you can make them as spicy as you like by adjusting the amount of cayenne pepper.
This easy, healthy snack is vegan, gluten-free, dairy-free, soy-free, lectin-free and paleo-friendly.
Want more healthy snack recipes? Check out Roasted Potatoes with Habanero and Basil Pesto, Vegan Cauliflower Potato Salad, Vegan Oven-Baked Chipotle Jicama Fries with Creamy Cilantro Lime Sauce or my Clean Eating Cookbook with an entire chapter of 20 healthy, clean eating snack and side dish recipes just like this one that you will love!
5 Fast Facts About Okra:*
- 1 cup contains 66% dv of vitamin K
- 1 cup contains 35% dv of vitamin C
- excellent source of dietary fiber 16% dv
- plant-based calcium of 10% dv
- naturally helps to reduce cholesterol
5 Fast Facts About Almonds (Almond Flour):*
- helps to regulate cholesterol and blood pressure
- energy booster
- loaded with calcium and fiber
- 1/4 cup contains 8 grams of vegan protein
- high in anti-oxidants
5 Fast Facts About Nutritional Yeast:*
- vegan source of vitamin B12
- contains 18 amino acids and is a complete protein
- boosts immune system
- excellent anti-oxidant
- contains 15 minerals
5 Fast Facts About Cayenne Pepper:*
- increases metabolism
- improves high blood pressure
- has anti-fungal properties
- circulatory stimulant which aids in detoxification
5 Fast Facts About Himalayan Pink Salt:*
- contains 84 minerals
- unrefined, unprocessed, raw
- promotes stable pH balance in cells
- controls water levels in the body
- aids digestion and facilitates better nutrient absorption
*These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This information is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.
Gluten-Free Vegan Oven-Baked Okra Bites
Yield 2 - 4 servings
Vegan / Gluten-Free / Dairy-Free / Egg-Free / Soy-Free / Flourless / Lectin-Free / Paleo-Friendly
For the okra:
- 12 organic okra pods (sliced)
- 2 tablespoons 100% pure avocado oil
For the bread crumbs:
Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
Prepare the bread crumbs:
- Add all ingredients for the bread crumbs to a small bowl and stir until well combined. Adjust seasonings to your preference. Set aside.
Prepare the okra:
- Cut both ends off each piece of okra and discard. Slice the okra pods into 1/4 inch slices.
- Transfer the okra slices to a medium sized bowl.
- Add 1 tablespoon avocado oil and toss with the okra slices until it's evenly distributed.
- Add 1/2 of the bread crumb mixture to the bowl of okra slices and gently toss until it's evenly distributed and all pieces are covered.
- Add the remaining 1 tablespoon of avocado oil onto the breaded okra and gently toss again, taking care to not shake off the existing bread crumb coating.
- Add the remaining 1/2 of the bread crumb mixture and gently toss again, taking care not to shake off the existing bread crumb coating.
- Gently transfer the coated okra sliced to a baking pan lined with parchment paper and bake at 425 degrees for 10 minutes.
- Remove the baking pan from the oven, flip over each piece and continue to bake for an additional 10 minutes, or until they're golden brown.
- Best when served warm from the oven.
Get all your organic ingredients delivered straight to your door at up to 25 - 50% off retail by cutting out the middleman and retail markups with a Thrive Market Membership and save 15% off on your first order.
The recipe and photographs for "Gluten-Free Vegan Oven-Baked Okra Bites" by Karielyn Tillman of The Healthy Family and Home website are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution Non-Commercial No Derivatives 4.0 International License and cannot be used without my written permission.
Affiliate Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links. This means that if you were to make a purchase through one of these links, “The Healthy Family and Home” website would receive a small commission.